How much would it cost to turn my garage into a spare room?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK... I know this might sound a really dumb question similar to 'how long is a piece of string' - I thought I'd ask anyway - any answers would be great

I have a garage attached to my house - I want to convert it into an extra room. How much will would it cost to turn it into a spare room?

I want to use it as my office - it needs to be insulated and be nice and cosy!
At the moment it's freeeezing!

I'm just after some experienced views on how much it will cost - just a rough estimation - something to get me going and to figure out if it's worthwhile contemplating

ALSO: I know someone who has managed to make a studio flat and is renting it out (with full permission of the council) - any idea how much that would cost?
(Of course, assuming that any planning permissions are given)

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
Well, you really do seem to determined to make it "a bit of string " question by not even giving the dimensions or saying where you live and if you intend to do it yourself or get in a 'builder".

not even the basics like size ;)
you will need to insulate all surfaces to comply with building regs
you will need to apply for planning if you want to alter the front

The cheapest (integral) garage con' we have ever done was for about £3800 back in 2006.

We have also done one for £12000 which was a flat roofed attached fella.

Get some quotes from local builders, there are tons of variables.

Sponsored Links
guys, thanks for the replies - i didn't know anyone had replied - i didn't get any notification that someone had replied :(
(i have the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' turned on, for all my posts)

the dimensions are about 5m x 3m - this is just a rough estimation
looking at the neighbours garage next door, they have extended theirs further - so, i'm assuming i can extend further as well

noseall: thanks for the estimation that - that *really* helps
my friend has their garage converted into a studio flat and they rent out for £400 a month - that's a pretty good return on investment i think
i've only recently asked and they've told me that they spent £10k
keep up the good work

om

Councils will not give planning permission for the convertion of a garage into a 'studio flat'. Government passed leglislation many years ago to rid the UK of the slums that were widespread in urban areas. Sadly the slums are now returning with the practices of certain landlords

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back