How much would you charge?? quote help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I recently set up my own business. Im doing ok, I wouldnt say i was raking it in!! that would be high hopes lol If anything ive made a massive loss this year with all the things ive had to buy ie van, tools insurance etc

anyway, one thing that really gets me is priceing up jobs. I find it really hard to quote for jobs. I can kinda work out what i need to do the job material wise, but by the time i add my labour onto it, i always feels its quite a high price. I always try to be a competitve as i can but I have had jobs that ive priced and knocked a bit off as i thought it was too high, only for the customer to jump at it!! I proper kick myself when that happens as I must have give them a price well under what the others had quoted!!

anyway, I gotta price the installation of a bathroom suite. toilet is a straight replacement as so is the sink. There a towl rad to be hung and pipes are already there. They do however want a free standing bath put against the wall in the centre of the room so the hot and cold as well as the wast need moving. not a hard job, just tile consuming. Then they want a mixer shower installed, again pipes in near enough the right location. Then theres a shower tray that needs the waste relocating and then a shower screen to put up

its all plumbed in hep, so i have priced various fittings and a roll of hep and the cost comes to £120 for materials. Ive said to myself £150 just for the extra bits i may not have thought about.

now it seems the going rate is around £450 for a bathroom install (job cost website) but ive gotta do a mixer shower and shower tray extra as well as move a few bits.

ill try upload a few pics of the bathroom but could anyone advise what they would charge to do this job, dont wanna be too expensive but dont wanna rob myself either

thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
As they say can't see can't quote.

Whats your day rate ?
How long's it going to take you ?

6961791133_e24cd9be89_m.jpg
free standing bath will be located in middle of wall. water and waste to be moved

6961790569_69eb59ec5b_m.jpg
toilet and sink staying in same position

6961790089_9ae5cfa450_m.jpg
towel rad on this wall

6815672674_ec90aa3661_m.jpg
shower tray here, waste needs repositioning. mixer shower on left hand side wall[/url]

Sponsored Links
As they say can't see can't quote.

Whats your day rate ?
How long's it going to take you ?

its prob goin to take me say 3 days total, thats 1.5 days first fix, then a day to secound fix when tiling is done. ive added in and extra 0.5 days just incase lol

They do however want a free standing bath put against the wall in the centre of the wall

How do you do that ?
Against the wall in the centre of room.

sorry, typo.

bath goin in against wall in centre of wall. please see pic

I'll give you a tip, you are working for Clients not Friends!
When Adding a Quaotation I imagine Mrs BM2 and my two loverly Kids Starving cos there is no money for food!!

That always works for me!! ;)

Quoting for jobs is easy.

Work out the rate of pay you want to work for per hour.

Materials + (rate * hours) = total

If you think the customer is going to be awkward or the job
is awkward + extra.

If you want the job as it looks easy and you have
gaps in your schedule to fill. Maybe knock a bit off.

cheers guys, i just can never help feeling like im ripping people off even thought i know that the standard of my work is excellent. I would have sleepless nights if i ever thought i'd done a bad job

I look for £150 a day whci leaves me with £130 after paying mr tax man

so 3 days work is £450 plus materials £150 (actual cost is £120 but giving myself a bit of a buffer zone just in case.)

overall cost then is £600 which im thinking is over the top. Help me feel better someone. Can i ask people what they would charge taking into account the £150 material fees so i can compare

Always difficult when starting up BUT DON`T Undersell yourself !!

Don`t forget most of your Start up stuff Van , Insurance , Tools etc is an allowance you can claim against your Tax !!!

Lucky

PS - in this day and age £600 aint a lot of dosh ,

You can either have a cheap job or a good job; rarely both. I price at £200 per day, always add one more day than I plan for as jobs are NEVER as long as you think they will be.

I used to work for a guy who had loads of jobs on the go at once, driving from job to job to keep people happy, doing a few hours here and there, for bugger all money at the end of the day.

I said to him "You are better off doing 10 jobs well for £200 each, than doing 20 jobs badly for £100."

A tip for you - re. the shower tray . look at *Classi Seal* on the web :idea: best thing I`ve found to go under the wall tiling - And what`s the bet , if there`s a shower tray leak you`ll get the blame not the tiler ;) Good Luck .

- And what`s the bet , if there`s a shower tray leak you`ll get the blame not the tiler,,,,,, could not agree more nige,,, i always have a laugh when the house holder blames the plumber,,, always quoting the plumber was a cow boy and thay would never have him back... must ear it said every day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back