how much

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,was wondering,my wife locked herself out of the house last Saturday around 12noon,i wasent here so she called a locksmith company,dont want to name them yet but they seem a big company who likely sub-contract out most of there work,or francise it out.
he drilled out the ERA yale lock[can I call it a yale lock if its not made by yale] to get the wife in,
on the compant website it says no call out charges,she had to pay £160 including vat,he wanted another £60 to change the lock,lucky she called me and I told her not to get the lock changed,got the middle bit off amazon for £6 to replace.
this is in surrey,so thoughts please.
ive been looking online and it says a good locksmith would not have had to drill the lock at all.
many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would question that as you are right you would expect him to have picked the lock and got in. Sounds like he drilled it just so he could replace it. Now a proper locksmith if there are any on here may say different but sounds like a case of taking advantage of someone (a lady) because he could. I have had 2 locksmiths out in my life for emergency opens first was £75 to pick the lock the second was £80 also to pick a lock.

Probably drilled it so it would have to be replaced and possibly to stretch the job out, personally I'd of slipped it with some mica cards, he'd of had it open in 30secs but with no call out charge and no materials used what could he of charged for slipping a yale, there's no money in it for them? Yeah no call out charge but we'll sting you on the lock, scam I'm afraid

Last edited:
Totally agree, there's absolutely no need to drill a lock, either pick it, use thin sheet as crank says or bump it if it's not too modern, all options a decent locksmith would try before resorting to drilling. He's essentially charged a days money to drill the lock.
I would name and shame them.

Sponsored Links
i called the main company,they said they will investigate and get back to me hopefully Monday,as the wife paid half on her card and the other half cash,he asked for her email so he could send the reciept to her for the cash,[no email]so will be hard to prove that she gave him £75 cash.
will wait to see what they say,been looking on there website and all 5 star ratings on there previews,then check Yell and all bad ratings for same company,apparently all the good 5 star ratings are put on by there own company.
thanks for the responses guys

There might be no call out charge but there is a charge for opening the door/time spent on site..

Andy

There might be no call out charge but there is a charge for opening the door/time spent on site..

Andy

What i meant was compared to what they can cream out of you for drilling and replacing a lock slipping one and charging a bit of labour makes them no money so they click bait you with no call out charge but make the money back another way, that's how I see it anyway.

Years ago when I did a bit of locksmithing I got called out to a front door with a 5 lever bs sash lock, customer said the key wouldn't go in, got on my knees to find the curtain somehow had slipped around quarter of a turn so yes the key wouldn't fit, small flat blade screw driver had it back in position in 20 seconds and customer was in, technically the job was done but as a precaution I took the lock out and striped it to find out why the curtain decided it wanted to spin round on its own, all seemed fine, couldn't work it out, didn't recommend changing the lock, bit of grease and back together and back in the door, didn't charge anything as all I'd done was flick the curtain around, it was my choice to strip the lock not the customers and I was on my way. It wasn't till a few days later I was wondering if it was a set up Rouge traders style, did someone purposely spin the curtain around, were they watching me on a TV somewhere saying 'all he needs to do is spin the curtain back, no need to change the lock', I gave me that warm feeling inside that I'd done my job properly, still do it to this day not as a locksmith but more double glazing service, jesus the amount of money I've walked away from because it was just a quick adjustment and I've not charged anything, I made a 2 hour round trip once to toe and heel someone's door from this forum, did because I was bored, didn't charge, just had a coffee and a chat, just leaving someone happy is enough payment for me especially pensioners

In the last 30 years I am sure I have been to 3 jobs that were set ups, but as I am an honest guy I didn't over charge the customer, just did the job and left. I even noticed a small camera in one job.

But catching tradesmen doing honest work is not good television.

Andy

company not interested,says that about right for drilling the lock out and the time it took,says about right to charge £60 to change the lock aswell allthoughtn I got the barrel from amazon for £6 and changed it myself.
KEYS4U,ur a bunch of robbing b@@tards.
did I say he took half payment with card and the other half with cash,he took the wifes email address to pass on the receipt for the cash that never showed up

That might very well be right for drilling a lock out but what was their response when asked why it needed drilling when it could of been slipped?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back