How Often Should I Be Watering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lay a few small plants and climbers in my front garden. The soil surrounding them is covered by weed-preventative membrane and then covered by 1cm of wood chipping.

Some of the plants already seem to be dying and I only planted them about 3 weeks ago. I think I may be either over-watering them or under-watering them.

In this heat, how often should I be watering them on average? Every day or every week? I'm new to gardening so haven't got much of a clue

Sponsored Links
I would suggest watering them every day but in the evening after 6 ish, as they will get more of the moisture then, during the day the water just evaporates in the heat, if not do it first thing in a morning but late evening is better, the later the better really...........

This is the reason why it is advisable to plant shrubs in autumn. By the time spring comes the root system will already have developed and the plant will be in a far better position to send out shoots and roots during the very busy spring. At the moment your shrubs have to develop their root sytems AND develop new shoots at the same time.

But don't despair, at least you've had the good sense to cover with a membrane and mulch and this will help to preserve moisture and keep the weeds at bay.

Having said all that, I planted two climbers about a month ago and did not use any weed blanket or mulch. They are in a south facing border and here in the south-east we haven't had rain for about five weeks. Neither of them are stressed out and I last watered them about a week ago. did you make sure the hole was well watered before planting? And was the rootball nice and wet before you planted them? And did you incorporate a sufficient amount of WFM. What type of soil have you got? Sandy or Clay?

I'd keep my eye on them and, as suggested, water everyday until you see an improvement. Although I find it hard to believe you will need to water every day. Anyway, pull back the membrane and stick a fork around the base of the plants and make sure any water goes straight down to the roots. I'd also ensure the soil around the roots is nice and firm. You can do this by hand. Don't tramp it down with your boot.
Stan

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I pealed back the membrane and used a form to create a few holes around the plants. Membrane then put back with bark chippings. I've also been watering during evening time. To be honest, the plants are looking better already. We've had loads of rain this weekend too which has helped I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back