How old is my 20-80 RS Flowmatic vokera?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Is it possible to tell how old your boiler is? I have a Vokera 20-80 RS Flowmatic boiler and I would like to try and work out the age of it. I'm thinking of getting it changed as we've got a wee boy now, it'll probably go in mid-January unless I get a new one! It's started making strange noises when the heating starts on it and it looks pretty old!

Anyone got any idea how much I should be paying (including installation) for a new one?

Thanks
Puska

Sponsored Links
Most of those I visit are about 1994-6.

Probable cost to replace about £1500-£2000 for a similar power 24 kW boiler depending on the make.

Tony

Probable cost to replace about £1500-£2000 for a similar power 24 kW boiler depending on the make.

it will be more than 10 years old definetly, it was superceded by the Excell

i think agile is quoting you london money

a 24 kw vokera compact se will cost you no more than £370

chemical flush with x800,clean system,pop on new combi, top up with a litre of x100 £400

rough guide but nowhere near mr glaziers quote

I would suggest the boiler be serviced and money be kept in the bank. Great boiler worth a bit of TLC. Do this kind of work regularly.

As far as I am concerned, best Vokera yet for reliability, access and coming back to life from dead.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I think I want to get a new one as I don't fancy it breaking down in the winter. I've got a wee lad now and he'd probably need to move out with his mum if we had no central heating!

Would anyone have any idea how much I would save on my gas bills by getting a new boiler? Presumably, a new boiler would be more efficient?

Any suggestions as to what make and model I should go for?

Finally, the house does get quite cold in the winter. I've had it all insulated, but it still loses it's heat very quickly. The radiators are not under the windows, should I get them moved to underneath the windows? I was told that this is the best position for them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Puskas

PS Glasgowgas - Do you know of any reputable firms that would do me a new boiler? And how much would installation cost on top of the £370-£400?

I see your a bear - nice one! ;)

your already online so look at ultimate discount heating
they are in hillington

if you go for another vokera (recommended) the pipe layout is the same

from left to right.... return,flow,gas,hot,cold

so a new vokera would go in exactly the same place with minimal pipe changes

to increase energy efficiency all rads should have trvs, a roomstat,a thorough chemical flush ( but not a powerflush)

your combi is SE this is standard efficiency
the new compact (vokera`s lead in boiler) can be SE or HE
se compact,flue,loop £369
he compact,flue,loop £470

what have you got in your system trvs,roomstat how many rads

Would anyone have any idea how much I would save on my gas bills by getting a new boiler? Presumably, a new boiler would be more efficient?
You won't save a great deal I'm sorry. What you will do is have a few trouble free years. You will also get decent hot water. The trade off is that yes you use less gass per lite of water or per hour of heating but you get better flo rates which mean you use more gas.

For my part I have found the Worcester Bosch juniors to be trouble free.

to increase energy efficiency all rads should have trvs, a roomstat,a thorough chemical flush ( but not a powerflush)

what have you got in your system trvs,roomstat how many rads

Hi Glasgowgas,

I have about 8 radiators and I've got a thermostat on the bolier. I don't have any roomstats. How powerful a bolier would I need for this?

Puskas

Hi Glasgowgas,

I have about 8 radiators and I've got a thermostat on the bolier. I don't have any roomstats. How powerful a bolier would I need for this?

Puskas

did you have a look at ultimates web site?
do you have trvs on your radiators? ( a trv is a thermostatic radiator valve)
you have a 24 kw combi just now,i would replace like for like.

a 28 kw boiler would give you a higher hot water flow rate,but a 24 kw should do you fine

ultimate do a he boiler upgrade pack ( combi,flue,loop, rf stat, 7 trvs,and chemicals for cleaning )

but answer the questions and have a wee look at their site and post back
bud

Perhaps you have different regs in Scotland but I always thought that you have to fit condensing boilers now. If thats the case I dont know why you are listing standard efficiency?

Do those prices include vat?

You have to quote vat incluse prices to retail customers.

I only mentioned London prices but I dont get the impression that Glasgow is much cheaper than London.

Tony

Hi Glasgowgas,

Puskas

did you have a look at ultimates web site?
do you have trvs on your radiators? ( a trv is a thermostatic radiator valve)
you have a 24 kw combi just now,i would replace like for like.

a 28 kw boiler would give you a higher hot water flow rate,but a 24 kw should do you fine

ultimate do a he boiler upgrade pack ( combi,flue,loop, rf stat, 7 trvs,and chemicals for cleaning )

but answer the questions and have a wee look at their site and post back
bud

Yeah, had a look at the Ultimates site - I must say, it seems quite reasonable for a new system. I suppose the fitting of the equipment would be the real cost....

All bar two of my radiators have the TRV things on them (I can turn the radiator up or down). The radiators are quite old too and the pipes are the micro pipes (a plumber told me once I should replace them, not sure why??!)

I don't get that great heating upstairs, should I be going for a 28kw bolier to sort thos out? What about the positioning of the radiators, is there not a rule of thumb to place them under windows?

Cheers
Puskas

Perhaps you have different regs in Scotland but I always thought that you have to fit condensing boilers now. If thats the case I dont know why you are listing standard efficiency?

Do those prices include vat?

You have to quote vat incluse prices to retail customers.

I only mentioned London prices but I dont get the impression that Glasgow is much cheaper than London.

Tony

yes different regs in Scotland, no requirement to replace an SE with an HE.
new builds etc require HE boilers
if im being asked to replace an SE i will always suggest upping to HE
but if the moneys tight for a punter,so be it

the prices i have posted are on ultimate discount heatings website and they include VAT

and finally Glasgow is not cheaper than London Tony, you are absolutely
correct.
its just that we are a wee bit cannier (aware) up here and if you tried quoting London money,there would be a lot of daytime tv being watched by the quoter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and for once tony i am not having a pop, relations have stayed in N.London for many years and London prices ( as far as im concerned) are perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, had a look at the Ultimates site - I must say, it seems quite reasonable for a new system. I suppose the fitting of the equipment would be the real cost....

All bar two of my radiators have the TRV things on them (I can turn the radiator up or down). The radiators are quite old too and the pipes are the micro pipes (a plumber told me once I should replace them, not sure why??!)

I don't get that great heating upstairs, should I be going for a 28kw bolier to sort thos out? What about the positioning of the radiators, is there not a rule of thumb to place them under windows?

Cheers
Puskas

good stuff,
if all your rads are heating fairlly resonable,and the trvs are in good nick
i think you would just need a good flush,fit a new boiler,fit a rf roomstat,and you should be good to go.

agree with DP solid old combi,maybe a thorough service (pm DP for details)and an independent service contract might give you the peace of mind you are looking for.

slightly dearer option would be fitting a new boiler which comes with a 2 year guarantee,pay for a service after first year to keep it in warranty

good practise would lead to fitting radiators on internal walls, not under windows, but if space is tight (ie where your 3 piece suite goes in room etcetc) well its not ideal but if under the window is the only place then so be it

Tony

Nope same regs, they just came in later than they did down south. Part L or section six as it's called up here has been in force since May 2007 for gas and then came in in 2008 for oil.

Caveat when looking at minimum fitting prices is that you'll probably need a new gas pipe, which can be a lot of work. Old practises and old boilers used to get away with skinny pipes - no longer.

NB Vokera Compact 29 HE will give you a bit better hot water, and it's exactly the same width as the Flowmatic.
Even in London you could get the job done for about £1600, if the gas pipe's OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back