How old is my cable

Sponsored Links
Theres also Julian date format. Nothing to do with Julian vs Geogorian Calenders, before someone brings up the orthadox church, or Russians missing the olympics.....

CYYDDD

Century being 0 for 1900s or 1 for 2000
YY being a two digit year and DDD being the day of the year.

So today would be 124097

If you were to assume the date code in the OP was a variation of that which omits the centuary character, it could then be the 17th of January 2012 ...

I don't know precisely when they came in, but I've got the impression that printed or embossed markings on cables are a relatively modern thing. I've certainly seen older cables without them.

Sponsored Links
Trying to date a priceless antique heirloom lamp by looking at the replaceable cable attached to it seems an exercise in futility to me
Who said it was a priceless heirloom and if you read my other post I say that the cable looks to be original the way it is sealed and fitted to the lamp. But thanks for taking time to write a reply.

If the cable condition causes you concern then get the lamp PAT tested, which, if carried out correctly, will include a cable condition assessment.

Don't forget the crazy date codes on some old cables, AEI used to use:
MAYFLOWERS for
e.g. MRLS for 1950
BICC used a similar system but I can never remember that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back