Lamp above a kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please. I've looked at WIKI help but could not find an answer.

My kitchen has pelmets under wall cupboards and there is a lamp affixed under 4wall cupboards (see attached photo). Each lamp consists of an MK shockproof socket (held in place by a metal band tightly screwed in as shown in the photograph) and a cable is run from each lamp to a junction box. The mains supply to the junction box is via 3 core flex cable attached to a 13A plug which is plugged into an on/off wall socket.

I have some reservations about this. The kitchen is very old, circa 1980's.
IMG_1165.JPG

My questions are:
1. Is this permissible by current regulations?
2.Specifically in relation to the lamp above the kitchen sink, I would have thought the same rules would apply as in a bathroom above a basin.

I can stop using the lights by simply not plugging in until resolved.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with a light being above a sink.

However, the fixing method is very poor and could contravene good workmanship and suitability of the fitting.

Not the same as a bathroom because you do not stand in the sink.

There is nothing wrong with a light being above a sink.

However, the fixing method is very poor and could contravene good workmanship and suitability of the fitting.

Not the same as a bathroom because you do not stand in the sink.

Thsnks. Maybe I will rip them out and fit new lamps.

Sponsored Links
It's pretty rough looking and poor workmanship, but what's actually visible in the picture doesn't appear to be unsafe, provided that CFL or LED lamps are being used. Traditional filament lamps would be a fire hazard if used here. There may or may not be other aspects of the work not visible in the picture that are unsafe though.

It's pretty rough looking and poor workmanship, but what's actually visible in the picture doesn't appear to be unsafe, provided that CFL or LED lamps are being used. Traditional filament lamps would be a fire hazard if used here. There may or may not be other aspects of the work not visible in the picture that are unsafe though.

Thanks. The bulbs are low wattage mains energysaver candle bulbs 11w. I think as long as they're not illegal, I will leave them in until the kitchen is redone at some stage. It is solid wood cabinets, handmade but very dated though everything works, sink drains away, 30 year old solid Canon cooker works beutifully, 30 year old Miele washing machine and dishwasher still chug away quietly, good old xpelair cooker hood really gets rid of all odours and steam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back