light above kitchen sink help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I need help in finding the right replacement lamp to go under a cabinet above the kitchen sink. There is currently an older and no longer working version of this light http://www.screwfix.com/p/linolite-sylvania-slimlite-white-cabinet-striplight-30w/41504 which shouldn't be there as it not got any protection against splash or accidental contact with cutlery when washing up etc as the cabinet is about 450ml from the sink.
My problem is that it is controlled by a switch which is fed off of a spur but pretty much every lamp i have seen at wicks/homebase or online are like these ones http://www.screwfix.com/p/linolite-sylvania-satin-silver-cabinet-light-14w/58256 which are all designed to be fed via a plug in the socket outlet which is not needed or wanted as there is an existing feed already there. It is not my kitchen so a fluorescent lamp is preferred over a downlight because of boxing the transformer.

if anyone can point me in the direction of a solution it would be much appreciated.
and apologies if there is an obvious answer i am missing.

Sponsored Links
Why would one want a light under the kitchen sink?
and IP20 is not offer that much protection for water ingress!
The solution if the light is an absolute, is get the IP rating needed, then if it's a plug-in, remove the plug and hardwire to the fused spur.

Why would one want a light under the kitchen sink?
and IP20 is not offer that much protection for water ingress!
no its under a cabinet which is above the sink.
i understand that i was just using that link to show the type of model i was on about.

apologies if there is an obvious answer i am missing.
Apololgy accepted. :)

Take off the plug.
I assume it's already correctly fused.

lol thanks your answer is why i knew i needed to add that, just needed confirmation as when i asked if it was ok for me to do that at wicks they wouldn't give me an answer as i could come back and sue them.

thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back