Replacing under-cabinet kitchen strip lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the under-cabinet strip lights in my kitchen. They were installed 13 years ago and are daisy-chained together and controlled by a single under-cabinet light switch.

I’ve attached photos, one showing one of the existing lights, and the other showing the light switch and the three-pin connector that goes into the strip light.

This is an example of a light that I’m considering:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-cabinet-striplight-white/23832

I’d like to do the work with minimal changes to the existing set-up – ideally, using the existing light switch and cabling (not least because part of the cable has been sealed into the tiling grout). However, I have a feeling that the three-point connector is obsolete now – could anyone advise on that?

If so, I’ll have to replace (or modify?) the cable between the strip light and the switch, but I want to ensure that any changes are non-notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Is there something that makes it difficult just to replace/remove that connector as appropriate?If you have to remove the cable, re-grouting that small section is a 5-minute job.

In any event, the work is not notifiable - it's an existing circuit and not in a special location.

Last edited:
Is there something that makes it difficult just to replace/remove that connector as appropriate?If you have to remove the cable, re-grouting that small section is a 5-minute job.

In any event, the work is not notifiable - it's an existing circuit and not in a special location.

That sounds like the ideal solution.

Sorry to sound dim, but any idea what connector I would need for a light such as the Screwfix one I mentioned? A link would be great. I'm assuming they're not included with the lights.

Thanks for the help.

The one you linked to is pre-wired, so you could just terminate the cable supplied into your FCU.

Sponsored Links
fittings like the one you linked to, usually have a plug outlet one end and a socket inlet the other end, usually they supply the input mains plug with a moulded on lead, that you will connect into your switch then plug in the end of the fitting.
Sometimes they also supply a link lead or you will buy the link leads seperate in various lengths to join the additional fittings.
Certain brands you can simply plug the fittings together with no leads at all or with a small adapter, sometimes supplied with the fitting

screenshot_1246.jpg

I wonder why...

some of the plugs and sockets are a bit lightweight maybe.
I recently done a shop and there was a number of the old plugs burnt up, at the start of the run, though they were electronic and T5 tubes rather than led

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back