How on earth does this guys roller hold so much paint?

Sponsored Links
you can cover almost as much with a good roller harris make a decent enough one for house hold use make sure to use one with a deep pile load it well harris also do a deeper tray with a lid dip and roll on tray first to kae sure you have an even coat on the roller you may need to dip in several times to do this and then slowly apply to wall gets a much better coverage not as fast as this guy but his roller is three times the size of a standard one and he is obviously trade.
I bought one of the dulux paint pods recently and that is absolutely brilliant once the roller has absorbed enough paint you just keep on going untill you change the pod or in my case refill with the pod I emptied with my own paint

ive tried the harris sleeves, to be honest I found them no better than standard b and q ones. Both medium pile

The 18" roller certainly helps, but he's still covering the same area per refill as I would with a 9" - just quicker!

I think a lot of folk when they're starting up don't get enough paint on the roller and are consequently scrubbing away at a small area - you can really load up a roller without causing any problems on the wall as long as it is spread evenly - the only limitation being how much drips off onto the floor!

As Buster says, the small roller trays don't help, if I'm doing a lot of the same colour I use a scuttle (big square bucket), you can put in 10L emulsion and still have enough space to roll off the surplus

Go for any of the medium pile trade roller heads - Can't remember the make, but the ones with a stripe are really good.

Sponsored Links
aardvark, ive seen these towel type material sleeves, are they any good.

I use the normal medium pile sleeves which more or less everyone ive seen use. I think mine are Acorn

The thing with my 9" sleeve is, I tried dipping the whole roller into the paint part of the tray so that it soaks every mm. Without flattening it out i tried applying to a wall but still dont get much more out of it apart from around 3 foot extra in a line

Could adding more force to the roller make a difference.

I am using one of those extention poles, and when i do try adding force (which makes no difference as the roller is clearly dry of paint when it doesnt spready any more) the roller handle begins to bend a little so i ease off.

I think your roller head is probably whats causing you grief, its not holding enough paint. You should't have to apply any great pressure to squeeze the paint out of the roller and onto the wall and you should be getting more coverage than you are per refill.

Also the paint, you say you mist-coated, but this doesn't seal the plaster completely, have you diluted your subsequent coats? 10-15% is normal and gets the paint flowing better, without thinning out the colour. Also what make of paint is it? some paints are notoriously thick and definitely require more thinning

Lambswool is the top dog of rollers but they're expensive and need a lot of looking after. There have been threads on this subject and there are folk far more knowledgeable than me have given some good advice on the best makes - try running the search button at top of the page.

ive only so far started the mist coat

could it be that it is a mist coat hence soaks in more easily hence the roller losing paint much quicker?

Regarding lambswool, the only other time ive used a real lambswool product is for washing my car ;) i use lambswool wash mitts

i have done a search and hve always come across people recommending short or medium pile rollers which I already have

the rollers I am using are Harris from B&Q and are stripped as aardvarkd says he is using.
If you look in the same section there are the deeper trays with a tread on the flat part it help to grip the roller as you even out the paint,
mind you I have used a big tub and a piece of ply wood in the tub to roll out the the paint on.
horses for coarses so to speek

Very professional..not a pair of overalls in sight!

Im not being funny but I didnt think he was that quick..double arm frams are ok and east to handle because the balance themselves..but you have to be careful that you dont clip walls near corners.

Personally I find them a bit cumbersome..I prefer a good thick nine inch..

Save the jokes!!!

Interesting point what they made in another vid though about pro painters not rolling in 'x' or 'w' patterns..very true and almost imposible with a roller..ive tried it, it looks like your doing the tango!!

Zampa, if you dont think hes quick then damn you must be rapid as I have been covering a similar area on a ceiling in like an hour.

Now ive also bought one of these Acorn woven short pile sleeves and it was rubbish. Bloomen got more paint splatter and spray than the B&Q medium pile. The B and Q medium pile felt more comfortable to roll as well. Very dissapointed with the short pile sleeve as my walls are flat and smooth as hell

Please zampa tell me what products you use exactly so I can use the same ones and know for sure it cant be the equipment thats the issue.

I am using 9" rollers but other than a single 9" line approx 7foot or an 18" line approx 4-5 foot long, i cant get more coverage and have return to the tray.

Could this be due to the mist coat having a mix of 35% water and is being sucked up much quicker from the roller?

I would love a solution where I could knock out whole ceilings and walls in minutes as i have two rooms with approx 15x5 meter in dimentions.

Furthermore, I have only really covered two thirds of one of the ceiling and already i am nearly two thirds the way through a 10 litre bucket of dulux matt emulsion even after diluting it with 35-40% water. Is this right lol

Speed is nothing without a good end product. To pile on the clichés; a good craftsman never blames his tools.

Yes, spending £4.00 instead of 50p on a roller sleeve is going to get you a better piece of equipment, but in the hands of someone rushing and doing things in the wrong order, they're both going to leave you with a ****ty job.

The guy in the video indisputably knows how to handle a roller, but he's working on a new build with no flooring or furniture to worry about, a fresh surface and arguably no Mrs. Soandso coming round to inspect the skirting etc.

I've seen you posting a lot on here asking about tools, materials and techniques, and in my opinion you can apply this to all your questions:

1. Buy from a decorator's merchant - ask for advice.

2. Have a plan. Take the time to stand in the room and work out the most efficient way to tackle it. Usually I prep, ceiling, woodwork and walls, but that's me and every room is different. A plan is your bible.

3. Preparation of surfaces is next to godliness, or something. Spend more time on prep and less time worrying. No prep = you can only polish a turd so much.

4. Be relaxed with a brush in your hand, eye up your line and pull the brush through it at a decent pace. Never drag paint out too far and never wet more than 2/3rds of your brush. If you do, stop and clean it out.

5. Same with a roller, don't keep rollering when there's no paint left, but avoid skidding on too much paint. Consistent eveness is the aim.

6. Patience, a steady hand and logical progression.

Hope that helps.

verbal thanks for the breakdown. Very helpful indeed.

However most of what you have listed is what I am doing. I made sure i spent extra squid on sleeves etc which to be honest were worse that the cheaper sleeves.

I have spent a whole week on prep to make sure I dont encounter obstacles when painting. Started with the cutting in which went fine for a mist coat meaning there are a few shades in the cutting in lines here and there but it is new plaster and the paint is diluted 35-40% water for the mist coat as recommended by a few.

So with all that going well it come to the rolling on which i couldnt wait to do. But damn its taking forever. I dont think there is anything wrong with my technique either, its just that the sleeves dry out of paint very very quickly and i get jack all coverage on the ceiling

you seem to be wanting to become an expert with just a few replies from here, my father in law was a old fashioned apprentice in painting and decorating there was not anything he could not turn his hand to when it came to painting and decorating.and always made thing look very easy as with the guy in the film but it takes many years to achieve that gut feeling and ease of understanding that allows you to use the equipment even the sleeve for a paint roller and how to load and how fast to roll you have to get a feel for I am not a professional bye any means I did something else for a living but I take a great pride in achieving a good Finnish with my home.
my advice is to slow down and take the time to try different things and see which works best for you it does not matter whether it takes you a week to cover the same area as a pro as look as the Finnish looks as good as if they had done it, mine does and I am very proud of that in fact,
so be a little more patient and you will get there in the end and an average 12x12 takes me around 15 minutes a coat with a roller and about the same to cut it in so approx half an hour for the whole thing but Ive been decorating my own home for approx 30 years now

Buster the thing im most dreading is that although its taking time, the paint is finishing up very quick also. I mean by the looks of it ill need like 8 more 10 litre tubs of dulux matt emulsion. One 10 litre bucket even after being mixed with approx 35-40% water has finsihed more than two thirds and covered approx 10x5 meter ceiling. Something surely is wrong here

Do you think for the the mist coat and second coat i should use b and q own brand and for the final coat use Dulux as it would be waaay too costly for me otherwise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back