How (or whether) to fix this kitchen cabinet door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen cabinet door laminate has come off. The kitchen is of an unknown make. The door dimensions are 500 mm x 715 mm. I was wondering whether I could glue back the laminate and if so what glue to use?

Alternatively, if anyone knows who makes this door and where I could get a replacement then I'd get a replacement door.

20220402_223032.jpg
20220402_222939.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could be a howdens as we had the same.
Ours was discontinued but a match was found on ebay as I guess the manufacturer or howdens sold the kit to make door. Full range available in our style which was lucky.

Doors advised as a good match and was identical.

We bought the doors because ours was pealing like yours. I have stuck a few with good quality strong pva.
Don't use solvent glues as it melts the plastic.

you say laminate, but it looks to me like vinyl wrap.

laminate is very hard and durable, usually glossy.

vinyl wrap is not as good, and will peel if exposed to heat or steam, for example if over a kettle, toaster, oven, dishwasher etc

you could possibly swap the door with one of the same size in a less conspicuous position in your kitchen.

It is possible to buy replacement doors in a range of colours, but not much chance of finding one to match yours I think.

Look at the hinges and other door fittings in case there is a makers name anywhere.

Could be a howdens as we had the same.
Do you mean you had the same door or the same problem?
Ours was discontinued but a match was found on ebay as I guess the manufacturer or howdens sold the kit to make door. Full range available in our style which was lucky. Doors advised as a good match and was identical.
Do you happen to know what the Howdens range of my door is called so I can look for a match?

We bought the doors because ours was pealing like yours. I have stuck a few with good quality strong pva.
Don't use solvent glue as it melts the plastic.
I'll try to use a strong PVA and see how it comes out. Is this what you would call a strong PVA or would you recommend something different?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you say laminate, but it looks to me like vinyl wrap.

laminate is very hard and durable, usually glossy.

vinyl wrap is not as good, and will peel if exposed to heat or steam, for example if over a kettle, toaster, oven, dishwasher etc

you could possibly swap the door with one of the same size in a less conspicuous position in your kitchen.

It is possible to buy replacement doors in a range of colours, but not much chance of finding one to match yours I think.

Look at the hinges and other door fittings in case there is a makers name anywhere.
Swapping it could be an idea.
Yes, of course, it is probably vinyl wrap. Probably had a kettle underneath and that is why it peeled off
I will look again for the manufacturer's name just in case but I haven't found it when I looked before.

It is definitely vinyl wrap and is probably unrepairable. Heat too much and the vinyl shrinks and it won't glue with PVA glue, either

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I once tried superglue. It melted the wrap.

Edit-

After reading the post below, I now recall that I tried using contact adhesive. It was that which melted the wrap.

Last edited:
The wrap is vinyl, which is why the only glue guaranteed to work with it is PUR (heat-activated polyurethane), but the stuff shrinks if it comes in contact with many solvents - and with heat. That's why we generally say they are unrepairable when they start to delaminate

Thanks all for the advice. I'll try to find a replacement door then

If its just lose pva will stick it back. I've done it.
If it's buckled up its had it.
Think I used superglue once and it melted which is why I switched to pva

If its just lose pva will stick it back. I've done it.
If it's buckled up its had it.
Think I used superglue once and it melted which is why I switched to pva
It's buckelled and shrunk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back