How reliable/important are BTU ratings for rads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When choosing a rad, how imprtant is it to take into account a BTU rating?

Online calculaters say my room requires 3600 BTU. I have seen a rad which gives 3550 BTU. Should i go for this or go for a rad with a higher rating?

Sponsored Links
you go higher
trv then controls them temp
have you worked out pipe sizing and rest house to see if the boiler can take the new rad

The house currently has 6 rads.

2 x approx 2500 btu rads

3 x approx 4500 btu rads

1 x approx 3800 btu rad

Boiler is a saunier duval f30e thermo classic. I assume it should be able to take another rad or two?

Radiator ratings are meaningless unless you know at what delta T the rating was taken.

And BTUs are obsolete units - work in kW.

Bigger radiators will heat the room up quicker, which is better if you use heating intermittently.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the F30E Themaclassic combi boiler? If so, this can provide anything from 36,000 to 100,000 BTU.

Your rads only add up to 22,300 BTU, so you have plenty of spare capacity. In fact, from the heating point of view, your boiler is seriously oversized - but that's what happens when you have a combi. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back