How remove continuous laminte flooring from one room only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m intending to remove the laminate flooring in my bathroom and replace with floor tiles.

The problem I have is that it seems that at the time of putting down the laminate flooring, whoever fitted it has run continuous lengths of board straight under the skirting and through to the hall way. If you look at my album titled

‘tile job’

//www.diynot.com/network/600rob/albums/7897

You will see some pictures of the bathroom. The lamiate flooring, skirting boards and the doorway leading out to the hallway.

In particular the doorway opening has several boards that go straight across the door way and out into the hall. and the closeups of the skirting show the flooring going under the skirting.

I would like to keep the laminate flooring in the hallway and only tile the floor in the bathroom. but because it goes form one room to another in a continuous run im not sure how to remove it from the bathroom only. Here’s my questions

My problem/question is how I can successfully remove the flooring from the bathroom with out disturbing the floor in the hall way as it seems to go all the way under the skirts to the hallway.

Also there will be a join where the tiles meet the laminate at the door way so im not sure what options id have here…. I would have to cut both the tiles and the laminate at an angle to suit the door way.

The tiles would be 10mm thick so im assuming there will be a height difference where join is. Could I use one of those metal joining strips between the tiles and the laminate? Or any other product? suggestions

Would be good to hear from anyone who’s done something like this before and what they did/how they got around it.

Sponsored Links
You need a pencil, a tape measure, something to draw a straight line up against.
Make a mark halfway between the recessed jambs in the door liner/casing.
Where the door is fitted. Each side, mark a straight line between them.
This will be were you put your door strip between laminate and tile.
Then you need to cut through this line at the depth of the laminate.
You will be able to use a circular saw for some of the distance, but alter depth gauge on it about 7mm.
I use an Oscillating tool to cut through the laminate nearer the door casing as this will be inaccessible using a circular saw, but a dremel or something simular should do it.
Then you can start removing the laminate, without it bothering the other floors.
The first few planks may need a bit force to pull up, could be worth running the circular down it, to break it's back, but once you have taken a full row out, it's easy.
The difference in height will depend on what thickness the laminate is normally about 7mm and if there is any underlay and again what type.
You may find that once you have stripped it all out laid you subfloor for the tiles plus adhesive thickness and tiles, that the bathroom floor will be higher.
You can get door strips/door bars that will fit between laminate and tiles.
Hope this helps.

Thanks mate for that reply.

I think i follow you.... will give it a go and see how i get on

Sponsored Links
It's just a case of marking a straight line on the laminate, between the door casing uprights, where the door sits in the recess/rebate.
Where you would normally have you door strip fitted between floor coverings.
Then cut across this line, this will give you your flooring joint at the door and will allow you to remove your unwanted laminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back