How robust is speedfit pipe? - Damage from drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have nicked the side out of some JG speedfit push fit pipe when installing a ceiling light with a drill bit

The edge of the drill bit has side glanced the side of the pipe and knicked a bit out, not too much, but just enough that you can just see a tiny bit of the middle layer of the pipe

System is at 2 bar heating (flow and return pipe) and no leak

Is it safe to say if no leak yet its unlikely the pipe will leak in the future? Would rather not have to repair as means cutting hole in ceiling and installing a pushfit coupler which has its own risks of leaking im sure

I see the pipe is rated for 12 bar pressure so hopefully that as its a small nick it should be ok realistically

Thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Yes my own place

Will try and get a photo for your views

If it was my own house I'd probably take the chance but plan in for a repair and have the parts ready to go and do it when I had chance.

Sponsored Links
1. If you have a leak and the insurance company realise its old damage, you might have difficulty justifying a claim.
2. I'd bite the bullet and fix it now.

Thanks

Luckily we have a big light that will hide the repair hole I will need to cut to get my hand in

I think just cut pipe either side of damage, New inserts and new straight connector should be OK

Damage was a bit more severe than I though

First new January job

Attachments

• 20231215_175558.jpg
    20231215_175558.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231215_174027.jpg
    20231215_174027.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 52
In focus

Attachments

• 20231215_174039.jpg
    20231215_174039.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 57
1. Looks like a 22 mm pipe, but you'll need to check.
2. The nick is right on one of the "check its fully home" chevron marks.
3. Are you sure its speed-fit? Could be the older Hep2O
4. Get the push-fit coupler for the correct pipe and get the correct inserts.
5. Measure the coupler end to end. Mark the pipe half that measurement plus 2 mm each side of the nick.
6. Drain the system to below the level of the damage.
7. Cut the pipe. Use a proper cutter, e.g. Screwfix item 272JJ. A hacksaw won't do as it leaves rough edges. Cut it twice to get rid of the rough bit in the middle.
8. Install the inserts.
9. Install the coupler, making sure its equidistant from the marks per 5. above.
10. Refill system

It would be better to fill the hole (fire precaution). Two bits of plasterboard. each slightly wider than half the the hole diameter and slightly longer than the hole diamater, with a screw through the centre of each. "Buttered" with polyfilla (not ready mixed). Insert first one, push to one side, insert second, push slightly to other side, bring first one to second and pull down on screws. Leave to set. Remove screws and fill screw holes with Polyfilla. No need to make good if hidden by light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back