How secure are my sliding patio doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone advise how easy it would be to break in through these doors? They are pretty old but do have a multipoint lock and an extra key bolt thingy.

Any tips much appreciated
Cheers

IMG_20211009_084251341.jpg
IMG_20211009_084336113.jpg
IMG_20211009_084345169.jpg

Sponsored Links
As secure as any new doors you would get these days by the looks of it...providing all those locks work correctly

Check your insurance. Mine requires patio doors to have two of those "key bolt thingys", one at the top and one at the bottom. They are cheap and easy to fit.

Sponsored Links
If you have those locking bolts top and bottom, they should prevent the door being lifted off its tracks, and should hold it even if the cylinder of the multipoint is attacked (there are various ways to defeat a Eurocylinder). take the keys out, and hang them on a cup hook away from the door (you do not need a key to lock them,) and also the main key.

If you need another lock, get a pair with the same key.

IMO patio doors do not need a keyhole on the outside.

I think the doors are Aluminium, which is stronger than plastic.

The glass is probably toughened, which is easy to break into tiny pieces.

I quite like a metal Venetian blind inside glass doors, it makes a tremendous noise if someone tries to get through it.

I have a room with patio doors, it has a substantial fire door into the rest of the house, fitted with a 5-lever BS deadlock, and an intruder alarm sensor. Mine are fitted with laminated glass, which is perhaps excessive. There are no portable valuables visible to someone outside.

Just one more step to make life difficult for a burglar.

With glass, if it is possible to get the locks open with a small break, it makes their job easier.

This is especially relevant with wooden or plastic front doors that have partial glazed panels, the glass is the weakest point. Also doors with or beside letterboxes, there are ways to reach through and turn a key. the hook is best placed away from the opening edge and letterbox, and where it cannot be seen from outside. If there are small children in the house, at the top corner of the frame. Same with window locks. You will always know where it is, even if it is hidden behind a curtain.

Also, a burglar likes to have a back door open so he can escape if you unexpectedly enter at the front.

Last edited:
It's actually very easy to get into your house.

Have you got stone ornaments out back? I see you have a metal framed bench.
Smashing the glass can be a quicker entry than faffing with locks.

Yet a small crowbar/big screwdriver "will" open the door when in the hands of someone who knows how and is determined to get it.

Get a big GSD :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back