How self-sufficient are you?

If there was an unplanned and unannounced energy outage (mains gas and elec) that lasted for two weeks in the depths of winter, combined with complete shop closures for three weeks commencing the same time (and lasting one week beyond the energy outage) how well placed are you and your household to cope?
There won't be any such problems. The government has a magic money tree. It is said that the billions Britain spent on covid could have fed every person in the country for 5 years, so for any emergencies Rishi will be along with his handouts. All completely free!
I have a generator and at least a month's work of really basic food stored up. We might be ok.
Will there be enough for the Ukranian refugees that you took in as well? (Assuming they're still with you).

Sponsored Links
I have a small stock of long life basics for myself, but Reggie the tabby must have about a year's worth in his cupboard. So he'll survive any emergencies. Not that he needs it, as he's honed his hunting skills and is more than capable of providing for himself. Though he's never actually eaten any of his unfortunate victims yet. Tuna and Dreamies preferable.

we used to get cut off regularly so have a small genny so as we can put the central heating on,, we also have an open fire and camping stove etc - We used to quite enjoy the blackouts but sadly they upgraded the powerlines and it never happens now. Although saying that the powercuts often happened at very inconvenient times - should be more fun now we're retired.

I doubt the generator has run for 10 years or more, its a crappy little 750w 2 stroke job. Must get it out of the loft sometime and see if I can fire it up.

Sponsored Links
not very self-sufficient but could last easily perhaps 2-5 days solid with lighting and power from power tool batteries via usb and a ryobi inverter

RY18BI150A​

only for charging my laptop or powering a freeveiw recorder box and a tv total 30w[ no live tv just recordings]
internet wont work as router not powered but can get internet via phone but expect phone mast failure so sporadic ??
and yes i know a 4ah battery will only last 2 and a bit hours [4320wm] but i have several ryobi batts
i also have bosch and dewalt batteries for usb and lighting
for cooking and heating i have a wood burner in my workshop
with batch cooking off frozen now thawed meat fish and veg to sustain till no longer fresh with tinned and dry to follow
a freezer opened once a day will keep food fresh for up to 6 days if you consolidate the contents down to lower and lower drawers with a quilt on top you will still have frost after day 4 but by day six cook all fish and meat and iff you cant store and cool in the cool off the night below 5 degrees [in a cool box or similar ]through the warmer day then binge till gone or given away :unsure:

or just go to my brother's or other friend not effected and order a curry :LOL:

:oops:

Last edited:
Same thing in The 70s - power cuts were fun because we were kids and still a good few years off being encumbered by boring stuff like responsibilities and jobs, etc, etc.
I'm retired now which is very similar to reverting back to childhood SO BRING BACK POWER CUTS

Such fond memories of the timed powercuts of the 3 day week thing back in early 70s
Just be fantastic if we could have that over xmas - listening to stories on the radio in front of a big log fire, and making toast on long fork things. JUST BRILLIANT, just brewed up some imperial russian stout (6.1%) that will be brilliant too. Just need my grandads pipe to puff on and it will be like being 10 again - FANTASTIC

Such fond memories of the timed powercuts of the 3 day week thing back in early 70s
Just be fantastic if we could have that over xmas - listening to stories on the radio in front of a big log fire, and making toast on long fork things. JUST BRILLIANT, just brewed up some imperial russian stout (6.1%) that will be brilliant too. Just need my grandads pipe to puff on and it will be like being 10 again - FANTASTIC

Reminds me of my own childhood holidays, spent on my uncles farm in the Dales. Power and gas cut-offs would not have bothered him/them - there was no power, or gas - log fire, range in the kitchen, Aladdin paraffin lamps all round and home made rag rugs on the floor. He smoked pipes, he had several of them in a pipe stand on the mantle shelf - always wore a waist-coat, with a watch chain spanning the front.

Aladdin paraffin lamps all round and home made rag rugs on the floor
Just made me realise, I do hope the fire brigade are well prepared for these 3h power cuts when rhere is an increased risk of people burning their homes down with tea lights

Just made me realise, I do hope the fire brigade are well prepared for these 3h power cuts when rhere is an increased risk of people burning their homes down with tea lights
good point, we have to remember modern day people are inherently stupid - but then again, unless there is an app on the mobile phone many won't even be able to spark up a t light, so danger averted.

Sponsored Links
Back