How should I frame this? [pics]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, Im about to start finishing off my basement so I have a few things to do before I can get started. There is a portion of my basement that has ducts and a support beam that are lower than the rest of the floor joists.

I've attached some pictures so you can see what I am talking about:

img5197qg7.jpg

img5198og4.jpg

img5199ac9.jpg

img5200mk3.jpg

img5201qh1.jpg

So I have two issues I guess. The first being that if I frame it off starting at the lowest point, that red beam, then it will cut off about half of the window there. Or else, I could across to from the red beam to the start of the window, then up and across just under the ducts. If I do that, then it leaves me very little room to place pot (inset) lights. I was hoping to be able to place them in the middle between the beam and the ducts, but I don't think I'll be able to with the window. I think they'll have to go almost directly behind that beam. Do you think that will be a problem?

What would you do here? Any advice? I thought about possibly just removing the window, but I'm not sure about code on that.

ps; I plan to drywall it

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I've seen that basement before, on an episode of Holmes on Homes :LOL:

I don't think the beam/light thing will be an issue, and hardly anybody on here would know about Canadian building codes as most who use this site are in the UK.

But surely losing the window would cost you even more light? ...and it may be classed as a fire escape if it's an opener.

box off beam & ductwork but leave a small trapdoor for drain on abs pipe you might need to use a snake to clean someday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back