How stop gravity leak where tap spout meets body

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of antique separate hot and cold swan-neck taps. Only the hot water spout swivels slightly where the spout meets the body (above the valve), and there is a small leak I'm trying to stop at that swivel point. I believe it was NOT originally intended to swivel for two reasons:
1) The taps are very old, at least 75 years. I doubt domestic swivel spouts were commonplace back then, and maybe didn't exist at all.
2) Only the hot swivels, and only slightly (about 1/8 turn either way). The cold does not swivel at all.

I've inspected it carefully with a 10x magnifying glass, and there is definitely no break in the nickel plating anywhere below this point, so it appears there is no way to disassemble it. That begs the question of how it was originally assembled. I suspect that either the nickel plating has sealed and hid the original threaded joint, or perhaps the spout was originally inserted into the body and either soldered there or it relied on a friction fit.

If I don't swivel or bump it for a couple weeks, limescale builds up around the leak and stops the leak, which would be a satisfactory solution except for my guests who often bump it or try to swivel it, which breaks the limescale and leads to another two weeks of leaking.

To clarify, the leak is NOT coming from the valve. The leak is downstream from the valve (between valve and spout), so the water that leaks out is only the water that remains inside the swan neck after the valve is closed (the leak stops after that water is drained away). Therefore the leak is driven by gravity, not water pressure. I attempted to solder the joint, but it appears there is little surface area where the spout and body meet, and I couldn't manually clean the surfaces because I couldn't disassemble the unit. The soldering stopped the leak until the next guest forced the spout to swivel, which presumably broke the solder seal which had too little surface area to have much strength. I have also tried using my finger to force a bit of plumbers grease into the leak, which also worked until the next guest forced it to swivel.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to stop that leak, other than supervise my guests while they use the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that either the tap is not meant to swivel at all, or the cold one should as well.

I also suspect that where you have inspected was the original joint in the manufacturing process, and that they nickel plated the section after it had been put together.

You will not be able to create a seal externally other than short term as you have described, and therefore have to live with it or be prepared to break the nickel plate.

Sponsored Links
As you're unwilling to break the chrome seal (understandably) with the possibility of re-plating them (understandably), and since sweating mor solder in (with flux) has limited success and may cause further damage, it is difficult to see a solution. Hence the lack of responses. Am still thinking and will hope for inspiration (don't hold your breath).

A stab in the dark - liquid superglue?

Good idea. I had also considered Araldite because it is clear and I have had good luck using it to seal chips in Belfast sinks. However, I think superglue might penetrate a bit deeper, which could be an advantage. Depending on any other suggestions posted, I may try yours. I'll let you know if I do. Thanks for that!

Thought about glue, but wasn't convinced of how good a watertight seal you'd get, coupled with the likelihood that the pipe casing would be scaled up and wet.

I must admit it wouldn't usually be my first choice for fixing a leak!

It would be important to dry the joint beforehand, and use the thinnest superglue you can find. It's actually the moisture in the air that makes it cure, so hopefully it would be OK.

I must admit it wouldn't usually be my first choice for fixing a leak!

It would be important to dry the joint beforehand, and use the thinnest superglue you can find. It's actually the moisture in the air that makes it cure, so hopefully it would be OK.

Never knew that - thought it would be evaporation, but in retrospect this wouldn't really catalyse it. How silly of me.

I'd never thought of it myself until a chemist friend told me - it took me back to the day I discovered that rice crispies were actually made of rice :)

I'd never thought of it myself until a chemist friend told me - it took me back to the day I discovered that rice crispies were actually made of rice :)

What are prawn cracker made of then?
Or are we digressing a bit too far from the blooming tap problem!! :LOL:

they look like old science lab taps, that have been plated, I scraped 10 of them a few weeks ago, do you know anybody who works in a high school,
the lab techs usualy have some stashed away

they look like old science lab taps, that have been plated, I scraped 10 of them a few weeks ago, do you know anybody who works in a high school,
the lab techs usualy have some stashed away

What school was that? Just curious, fellow citizen ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back