How tight is too tight

P

pna

I've been replacing various sockets and switches in the house we moved into earlier this year and have been surprised to find that almost without exception, the screws to connect to the electrical cables had been done up so tightly so as to create a real dent in the wires, in some cases close to severing it.

Am I right to assume this was too tight? (In cases where it looked as thought the wire might break off, I trimmed them before reconnecting).

Sponsored Links
create a real dent in the wires
Tight enough.
close to severing it
Too tight.

Copper is malleable and in order to get a good LONG LASTING contact needs to be under compression at all times. Screwing down onto the wire and deforming it to take up the shape of the receptacle is the best way to guarantee a good joint. If you don't tighten it up sufficiently, over time the effects of miniscule amounts of heating and cooling and associated expansion and contraction will cause the joint to weaken and the cable will become loose.

Create a better termination where only one wire enters the terminal by doubling over the bare conductor and flattening with pliers before terminating. The screw has more to bite on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back