How to add quadrant to this stringer?

Going slightly off topic. The house that I am currently working in has a plaster ogee type moulding running along the top of the strings. They had a 5mm tall crack where they meet the 120yr old strings. I noticed that there was some bounce (in and out of the wall, rather than up and down) in the strings, so I drilled a series of small holes through the strings and squirted in expanding foam to eliminate the bounce (and did so until the foam filled the crack).

I find it works incredibly well. I don't like drilling through strings and in to the wall (with screws and plugs) unless I know that there are no pipes or cables.

I am a decorator, I seldom use Easifill. In your original scenario, I too would have used foam but I would then have used one of the lightweight fillers such as Toupret RedLite or Red Devil One Time. Powder based filler tend to "blow" over time when in contact with timber.
Yeah i foamed the entire stringer down the crack before easifilling and I haven't even caulked it yet and it hasnt cracked after 12 months. Foam seems to hold things well, like door frames, stringers. I havent tried any other fillers except toupret but i just stuck to easifill because its cheap and I'm familiar with it and for better or worse my house is now made of easifill.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back