How to adjust a wash basin pop up plug

Sponsored Links
James, if the new plug is leaking even when its fully down, then either its the wrong diameter or the 'o' ring isn't there......I suspect the former.
At the end of the day, if this is the case, its better to fit a complete new waste which comes with a suitable plug.
John :)

Thanks.

It is the correct diameter and the o ring is there.

Is there anything that can be done about the second one I mentioned which is rusty and cannot be adjusted?

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Have you studied Charnwoods picture post, James? The adjustment mechanism is shown.
If the plug still leaks, its not the correct diameter I'm afraid - although it will seem very close.

Sponsored Links
Thanks

It is the correct diameter.

Is there anything that can be done about the second one I mentioned which is rusty and cannot be adjusted?

JamesEB

I've no idea what the rusty, non adjustable plug looks like - was it the original one?
There's always a degree of adjustment underneath (Charnwoods pic post again) to compensate for this.
There's also no guarantee that a plug purchased from Amazon is completely suitable for your waste fitting - its the luck of the draw.

As in the diagram you may also need to adjust the operating rod along with the adjustment screw under the plug to obtain the correct setting. It's just a matter of trial and error - no magic solution. Just make small changes until the correct fit is achieved.

Patience is all that is required!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back