How to apply paper tape on tapered edge plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question, how do I apply paper tape on the tapered edge of the plasterboard?

Does the paper have to follow the V shape or be applied straight (by first creating a flat bed with the filler)?

Sponsored Links
Follow the V I should think.

Paper tape is rubbish, scrim tape is better by far.

Follow the V I should think.

Paper tape is rubbish, scrim tape is better by far.

My understanding is that paper tape is more difficult to apply but has a higher shear strenght; scrim tape (fiberglass) can still cause cracks, especially if there is movement along its length

Whenever I've seen a paper tape it's cracked all the way along the edges.

Scrim tape allows the plaster to go in the little holes so it holds itself together nicely.

But that's only my opinion.

Sponsored Links
The recommendation I had from a friend at lafarge was scrim tape for skimming, paper tape for tape and joint. That's always worked for me. For the paper tape apply a smear of easifil into the v of the join, push the tape into it then another go of easifil over the top. The tape should go into the v and effectively stick to the surface of the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back