How to apply Zinsser BIN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to make some furniture using MDF.

I have been recommended to 1) Sand with 120 grit, 2) prime with Zinsser BIN, 3) Sand with 220 grit, 4) paint with Dulux Trade Satinwood.

I am at the second step, and have just applied my first coat of Zinsser BIN with a gloss roller:

111.png

You can see it's quite patchy. Is this expected? Should I try another coat, or just move onto the sand + satinwood finish?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
I would give it a light rub with 250 grit and another coat. I always like to get a flat coat of undercoat on no matter how many coats , before top coating

Sponsored Links
I've only used BIN as a blocking coat, to apply emulsion over varnish or whatever.....as its shellac based it does this particularly well with minimal absorption. In your case I'd be using a dedicated MDF primer.
John :)

Thanks John, yes that was the alternative. The forums suggest BIN as a primer works well for MDF because of what you say - it creates a barrier to stop absorption so specifically the edges look nice. I am just wondering if this is enough.

Dulux satinwood says it is 'self-priming'; any thoughts on this?

Seriously, for any absorbent material like MDF (especially the edges) I'd be inclined to give a coat of primer then undercoat - this will absorb nicely. At that point I'd go for the BIN on the edges only.
Self priming paints are OK for those in a rush!
Enjoy your project!
John :)

just build up the coats on the edges, sanding inbetween. Its a bit more expensive but moisture resistant MDF doesn't fluff up anywhere near as much when cut or routed.
BIN is expensive but does have it's place I only really use it for problem substrates.
For MDF I would first give it a rub over with 250 grit then prime with acrylic primer and again rub back with 250 grit then as many coats of undercoat as necessary to get a flat colour sanding with the 250 grit between coats, followed by two cots of top coat, giving a light sand with 400 grit if leaving it for much more than 24 hrs between coats.
Over the years I've generally found anything that says one coat, self undercoating, non drip etc is generally crap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back