How to attach gatepost to wall at an angle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after some advice on the best way to do this please. We have a short fence with a gate at the entrance to our side passage, however the gatepost (which was attached to the house wall) has come loose and is falling down.

The issue is that the fence and gate are not at a 90 degree angle to the house wall, but angled away (ie the far end of the fence is further forward towards the road than the front of the house). So a straight bolt fixing the post to the wall wouldn't work as the gate would end up at the wrong angle for the fence. Also the way it was attached previously seems to have been a bit of a bodge - someone had knocked some pieces of wood in between the bricks in the wall to create an angle and then attached the gatepost to these, but these have now pulled loose hence why it's falling down. Also, the gatepost is in a concreted hole, but (I think due to having to avoid a drainage channel which runs below it) the hole they used is only about half the size of the gatepost, which has been cut to fit at the bottom, so it wasn't as securely held as if it was fully going into the ground.

I'm not sure whether there are some kind of angled fixings we can use, or if there's another good way to do it (I wondered whether a wedge-shaped batten in between the wall and post, or the post and gate, might work for example) - any suggestions welcomed! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Probably the easiest way is to cut 4 timber wedges and screw them at even spaces to the back of the post.

then screw through post to wall

A drawing or photo would help?

If what you are saying is that the fence is not at 90° to the wall, so a square post can't be used, the obvious answer is to cut the side that mates with the wall at an angle. Then fix it with frame fixers or threaded rod and epoxy to the wall so the post comes off at an angle.

If properly mounted on a wall then cut the post short so that it clears the ground and won't rot as quickly

Thanks Notch, that sounds like it should work and would be easier than getting a full-length piece the right shape. I'll look into it!

Tiger I have had a go at a picture, although actually I think the angle from the house is not nearly as big as it came out on my very bad drawing! But hope that helps to clarify (obvs it's not to scale either). But to explain more, the fence is indeed not at 90° to the wall, but it does have a square gatepost currently, it was just attached to some dodgy pieces of wood hammered into the wall between the bricks and sticking out a bit to set it at the right angle from the wall, but these have now come out so it's falling over.

As the post is a big solid one, doesn't seem rotten, is still attached to the gate and painted to match it I'm hoping to keep the same gatepost, so just need to find a way to attach it back to the wall at the right angle, but that will last better than the way it was fixed before.

Gate fixing.png

Sponsored Links
Is it not easiest to just have the post square with the house? Deal with the angle in the hinges?

Can't you just fix the gate to the house and get the angle with the hinge?

A couple of sturdy bits of flat steel bent to the correct angle could be easily made, and fitted to the house wall, and the post would hold it. Easier to fit on the horizontal (on the drawing) wall. You could also add some vertical featherboard to the post to fill the gap shown where the wall line is vertical?
It's not obvious to me what is "inside" or "out"

Or buy right angled brackets that are premade and alter the bend to suit. Galvanised and predrilled would be easier

can you fix the post to the wall
I would use Resin and bolts to fix the post square on to the house wall - and then use the hinges , as mentioned above, to deal with the angle of the gate

Thanks all for the suggestions! I've just been having another look at it and figuring out which options would work best.

I am thinking that as there is a still pretty good concreted hole that fits the post, at the right angle, and as the post and gate themselves still seem fairly sound, it would be easier to keep the post at the same angle as before (i.e. in line with the fence rather than the house wall) rather than moving the post to be flat against the wall and adjusting the hinges.

So I think the simplest option will probably be either to make some wooden wedges as Notch suggested (and bolt those to the wall, and then the gatepost to those), or possibly bent metal brackets as Tigercubrider mentioned - only problem with those would be that as we would have to bend them to an acute angle in between the wall and post, it might be difficult to get bolts/screws in due to the limited access if you see what I mean. So at the moment I'm leaning towards the first option, and going to have a look if we have any suitable wood already.

Thanks again for all the thoughts!

No hinge adjustment would be needed they move to any angle required .Entire setup seems ridiculous , no post is needed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back