How to Avoid This Happening Again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just about to paint my ceiling and I noticed a bit of it peeling off..

Well two minutes later and all of the paint has come away leaving behind the plastered ceiling wall..

In order to avoid this happening again.. Shall i paint the ceiling with a watered down white matt (70/30 paint to water mix)

Then paint again with dulux trade matt paint?
IMG_20190809_152149400.jpg

Sponsored Links
veedee, good evening.

When was the ceiling plastered? and painted?

Ken.
I recently moved in so i am not certain.

However the house was built in early 60s. Little clues have suggested it may have been plastered in the 80s and or early 90s.

The previous owner appears to have used a vinyl paint

I would use Zinsser Gardz then your finish paint.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Odd, the ceiling looks like someone tried washing off distemper, which is not something that I would have expected in a house that is only 60 years old.

I suspect that the very first coat that was applied was not sufficiently thinned and may well have been applied by brush. When you use a roller over incorrectly applied paint it often pulls the softened paint off.

As NigeF suggests Gardz should seal the existing paint and prevent the moisture in the new emulsion from disturbing the old emulsion.

Alternatively, spray the remaining parts of the ceiling in the photo with water and scrape off any existing paint and then thin the first new coat as per the instructions on the tin of your emulsion. Then use the Gardz over the other ceilings that you haven't yet painted.

Odd, the ceiling looks like someone tried washing off distemper, which is not something that I would have expected in a house that is only 60 years old.

I suspect that the very first coat that was applied was not sufficiently thinned and may well have been applied by brush. When you use a roller over incorrectly applied paint it often pulls the softened paint off.

As NigeF suggests Gardz should seal the existing paint and prevent the moisture in the new emulsion from disturbing the old emulsion.

Alternatively, spray the remaining parts of the ceiling in the photo with water and scrape off any existing paint and then thin the first new coat as per the instructions on the tin of your emulsion. Then use the Gardz over the other ceilings that you haven't yet painted.

All of the paint on the ceiling has been removed..

I plan to use the Gardz and then paint. This will successfully complete the job?

Maybe the person who painted it inadvisedly used PVA on the plaster first. That would stop the paint adhering properly.

First clean the chipped area using paint scraper after getting clear and dry, apply oil based primer with stain blocking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back