How to bed edging in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m carrying out a number of DIY jobs for a relative among which trying to sort out the area of her garden pictured below. In the trench there used to be edging which had rotted. I purchased a couple of rolls of something similar (see pic below, 250mm height) but upon digging out the old edging I realised that it had been embedded into a line of concrete. I can remove the old concrete with a pick axe, put the new edging in place and pour concrete around it but I’m wondering if this is recommended as I’m concerned the edging will just rot again. Any thoughts on how to proceed? If I go down this route, how do I temporarily fix the edging while I pour the concrete and allow it to cure?

My other option is to just forget edging, get rid of the mound of soil and replace with lawn. My relative wants a low maintenance garden anyway. The issues there are that a. The only access to the tiny garden is through the house, no side or back access and b. how does one get rid of excess soil cheaply?

full

full

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All timber in contact with soil will rot. These edgings are usually just laid in a trench in the soil and replaced when they rot, they are not usually concreted in as they will still rot but be harder to replace. The timber at the back which looks like decking planks is also in contact with the soil and likely to rot. Most council recycling centres will accept small amounts of soil without charging (often about a dustbin full per day), you could put it in some plastic tubs to transport it to the recycling centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back