How to blend in rough edges on ceiling patch repair?

Cheers hotrod.

I've seen that paint mentioned before. Is it suitable as a top coat though? What is the finish like, chalky or with a slight sheen as with vinyl matt?

Sponsored Links
You are better off leaving it for a week or two to let it all dry out.

One problem you may well get is the dreaded 'suede' where the original ceiling is smooth and the sanded patch is slightly textured. In the light it stands out like anything.

Supermatt is suitable as a finish paint, but, as it is non vinyl, does tend to have a slightly chalky texture, so I only ever use it for misting.

I think your problem might be the fact that you are using the Crown, which is a non vinyl paint (assuming it's the one I'm thinking of) and trying to blend it in with the rest of the ceiling which could possibly be finished with a vinyl. Don't know if that is the case :confused:, but if it is, even if you do the whole ceiling with the Crown paint, the patched area will still be noticeable until it too has had a coat of vinyl.

The best paints for hiding power in your situation are the trade version vinyls, but, as you know, they are more expensive.

There is nothing wrong with the Crown paint you are using from Q&B, and as a decorator I've used loads of it, but it just doesn't have the hiding power for the situation I have described above.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have given it a few more coats. It does actually seem to be getting better. It is never going to be perfect but it's at the stage now where you notice it if you're looking for it - it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Joe-90, I know what you mean, fortunately that doesn't appear to be a big problem here, the room is not well lit anyway (energy-saving bulbs :rolleyes: )

Misterhelpful, if I'm reading it right, you think the patch may need a coat of vinyl? If so, do you think I could get a tub of good vinyl matt and give the ceiling a once over with that? I'm not an expert on paint types but I like the flat, muted chalky whites you sometimes see on ceilings which is why I was going to go for a non-vinyl. Will the vinyl leave much of a sheen?

Sponsored Links
i suggest you go over the whole ceiling with what ever paint you have and then see how much it stands out its always going to stand out until all the ceiling is painted with the same paint

I was basing my post on the assumption that the rest of the ceiling was done with a vinyl, but as stated, wasn't sure if that was the case.

A vinyl matt won't give hardly any sheen (especially trade versions) and is what is generally used for ceilings by the DIYer.

The Crown you have, the Supermatt or most Contract matts (often left as a finish in new builds) will give a chalkier/drier looking finish, if that's what you prefer, and are ideal for new plaster. These paints do tend to give a nice even finish and their only major faults are that they are not wipeable, whereas most vinyls now are (shouldn't be too much of a problem with a ceiling), and they can also be difficult to blend in with existing finishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back