How to blend in rough edges on ceiling patch repair?

You should have had the whole ceiling skimmed. Pratting about patching is a mugs game.

Sponsored Links
I've decided to use the easifill, as it a lot cheaper than the Promix.

I have a couple of questions.

Does the surface need any priming before application? Half will be the bare plaster, half will be the painted surface.

How thick should I be looking to apply the coats? I've never done plastering before but if this stuff is sandable does it matter if my finish isn't perfect off the trowel?

I can see a total cock-up on the horizon. :rolleyes:

I've decided to use the easifill, as it a lot cheaper than the Promix.

I have a couple of questions.

Does the surface need any priming before application? Half will be the bare plaster, half will be the painted surface.

How thick should I be looking to apply the coats? I've never done plastering before but if this stuff is sandable does it matter if my finish isn't perfect off the trowel?
you get a better result i think if you seal the plaster with a mist coat 50-50 paint and water ive already told you not to be to fussy with it it dosent have to be perfect just get it on there cover about ten inches eitherside and use it to cover up any other blemishes hes left then wait till the next day and give it a good sand you will be amazed at how easy this job is so dont worry its almost impossible to mess this up

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve. Just a bit anxious being a novice that's all, should be easy enough hopefully.

youl be fine mate dnt worry its really easy its not the same consistancy as plaster so its more managable for you and as steve said it sands down lovley so you will be fine

Thanks for all your help guys. I have managed to get the easi-fill on and sand it down - you were right it is very good stuff and easy to blend in.

All that is left now is to paint the ceiling.

I have gone over the patch a couple of times but I'm having trouble hiding it. Can anyone recommend a good quality white matt paint with excellent hiding qualities? I have heard of the Dulux trade stuff but that is £30-40 for a ten litre tub. Does anyone have any other (cheaper) suggestions, preferably something thick with very good opacity. I would only need about five litres so anything in the £15-25 range would be good.

Thanks for all your help once again.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have managed to get the easi-fill on and sand it down - you were right it is very good stuff and easy to blend in.

All that is left now is to paint the ceiling.

I have gone over the patch a couple of times but I'm having trouble hiding it. Can anyone recommend a good quality white matt paint with excellent hiding qualities? I have heard of the Dulux trade stuff but that is £30-40 for a ten litre tub. Does anyone have any other (cheaper) suggestions, preferably something thick with very good opacity. I would only need about five litres so anything in the £15-25 range would be good.

Thanks for all your help once again.
i use crown matt emulsion you can get a 10litre tub from b&q for your price range ive done my own ceilings with it, also i wouldent use a short pile roller i would use a medium to make sure you are putting it thick

Cheers Steve. That's actually what I'm using! Medium pile roller with Crown Matt Emulsion. I'll give the patch a couple more coats yet to see if becomes more uniform with the surrounding area.

I was thinking more along the lines of what a tradesmen would typically use, generally decorators use better products.

Did you leave the easy fill long enough to make sure all moisture has gone from it?? Did you mist coat the bare plaster twice before painting it neat?

Cheers Steve. That's actually what I'm using! Medium pile roller with Crown Matt Emulsion. I'll give the patch a couple more coats yet to see if becomes more uniform with the surrounding area.

I was thinking more along the lines of what a tradesmen would typically use, generally decorators use better products.
i was recomended that paint by a painter and decorater, you are painting the whole ceiling?

1john, yeah I mist coated it with watered down emulsion. It was definitely dry, finished it a few days ago.

Steve, yeah I am eventually going to paint the whole ceiling, at the moment I am just going over the patch so I don't end up having to do it the whole ceiling several times.

I will get a better idea once I have given it a couple more coats. It could just be that the new paint on the patch shows up more against the old paint, once the whole ceiling is covered in the same paint it might be better.

Still any recommendations on paint are welcomed - I think I might need to buy some anyway as I will be cutting it fine with what I have left.

I just took a couple of photos but all you see is a big white square, very difficult to pick out detail.

Basically, where the easi-fill is, it is ever so slightly darker than the old painted plaster, making the transition noticeable. I am hoping as paint layers build up on the easi-fill this will become less apparent.

I have heard of the Dulux trade stuff but that is £30-40 for a ten litre tub. Does anyone have any other (cheaper) suggestions, preferably something thick with very good opacity. I would only need about five litres so anything in the £15-25 range would be good.

I always use dulux supermatt as a mist coat. B+Q have got a deal on the 10L as well - get your old dear to go down on a Wednesday? :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back