How to brick floor in outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old outhouse/outside toilet attached to the house, it's basically one space divided in half with two outside doors. On the side without the toilet, we want to convert it into a nice storage space, at the moment it's just exposed brick and full of spiders. Today we cleared it of previous owners attempt to make it up useable and the floor is, surprisingly, brick (!) and very uneven, it looks sunk in the middle like a bowl. It's also damp although having been covered in carpet, I imagine this didn't help. My question is how can we sort this? Is it as simple as getting a self levelling compound straight over the brick? What about damp proofing? read somewhere on this forum about using a three part process involving one round of self leveller, a liquid DPM and then more leveller. Would this work? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Your proposal is hit and miss, why not do it properly and lift the existing floor, investigate the dip and re-instate with a membrane and concrete base.

The sunken middle could be caused by the old WC drain collapsing. Do you have a manhole cover in the back yard/garden?

There are usually various other issues when converting disused closets, why not post pics?

The space you are looking at would be originally the coal house. It is likely that the floor has sink due to years of having ton's of coal tipped on it. I would remove the brick floor, level underneath with concrete, then a liquid damp course and screed.

Sponsored Links
maltaron,
With esteem for your excellent record of posting advice from which i've learned much but the above post notes that the space with the slump issue is the old WC compartment.
And, with a membrane in position below the concrete, why would a liquid damp course be required above the slab?
AAMOI: no SLC or screed would be needed in such a small area - the concrete pour could easily be levelled off at the required height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back