How to check for leaks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope you had a good Christmas? My combi saunier duval sd30e is loosing pressure and the DHW doesn't work most of the time, until I fill the boiler up with the filler loop.

After searching around I believe there must be a leak somewhere? It can't be upstairs as I would see the leak from gnd floor. Is there a solution that can be run through the CH to stop the leak? I have carpet in 1 room and large floor tiles in the other room and it's not going to be to take this up. Please help thank you.

Sponsored Links
How much pressure are you loosing over what time.

What pressure are you topping up to.

What pressure is the system reaching when hot.

Have you checked that the pressure relief valve isn't discharging. :?:

Andy.

After searching around I believe there must be a leak somewhere? It can't be upstairs as I would see the leak from gnd floor. Is there a solution that can be run through the CH to stop the leak? I have carpet in 1 room and large floor tiles in the other room and it's not going to be to take this up. Please help thank you.

The only way to check for leaks on visible pipe work is to let the heating go cold, otherwise any small leaks would not be visible as the water would evaporate and you would not notice it.

Hi all hope you had a good Christmas. Is there a solution that can be run through the CH to stop the leak? I have carpet in 1 room and large floor tiles in the other room and it's not going to be to take this up. Please help thank you.
Yes there is - and you can get it in a pressurised container like an aerosol - Inject into a rad that you have drained some water out of :idea:

Sponsored Links
Hi all hope you had a good Christmas. Is there a solution that can be run through the CH to stop the leak? I have carpet in 1 room and large floor tiles in the other room and it's not going to be to take this up. Please help thank you.
Yes there is - and you can get it in a pressurised container like an aerosol - Inject into a rad that you have drained some water out of :idea:

I think Nigel F means Fernox Leak Sealer.

thanks for your replies guys

upon looking at the boiler again i have a weeping leak underneath there is a bit of corrosion around a brass pressure gauge connection, im hoping this would be the cause of the pressure drop however would this be enough to drop the pressure from 2 and a bit bar to just under 1 bar in a few hours while the CH and random DHW is used?

im having to top up the filler loop every few hours now

Hi, I have same problem, had it for years. Just put a tube of Fernox F4 into rad, says it doesaup to 10 rads. I have 13, some are doubles. Repressurised boiler. Checked PRV.Still leaking. Wonder if another tube of F4 is called for. I,d have thought over 5 days, even a weak solution would have sealed a small leak.? Hope not Butting in on OP.Joint problem shared.I know how he feels. It,s driving me barmy.1 £ 15.95 @ homebase. £20+ elsewhere. 290ml condensed with rad injecter for mastic gun. Liquid bottle £12, Presume the 2 will mix?

right sorted out the weeping leak from the boiler, i thought that issue was fixed, still losing pressure i put it to 2 bar and after an hour or so using CH drops to just under 1 bar. so i still must have a leak somewhere.

will i need bleed the rads at all?

how does the leak solution work sounds like i need to drain the boiler?

also just a thougt i have been filling quite a bit of extra water into the system, not sure how accurate the pressure gauge is will it do any damage to the boiler/CH?

seen this
Fernox F4 Express Central Heating Leak Sealer 265ml

think ill get some tomorrow

How much pressure are you loosing over what time.

What pressure are you topping up to.

What pressure is the system reaching when hot.

Have you checked that the pressure relief valve isn't discharging. :?:

Andy.

Hi Andy yes the overflow has some water coming out so it looks like no leak on the rads...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back