How to check if spotlights are AC or DC?

PHOTO_20160907_184925.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'ii ask again. Where does it say transformer? On the left it says
AURORA
Cat No etc,
20 - 60 W/VA
Pri...
Sec...
Cos...
Etc

On the right it says

Dimable etc

LED Functions etc

No where does it refer to the device as a transformer.

Not surprising, it isn't one.

Sponsored Links
GMS....

Do you think if the description "transformer" was invented by a marketing guru and the company paying that marketing guru for their work to describe and promote their products online disagreed, they would have done something about it?

winston, have you looked up "transformer definition" on Google?

transformer
transˈfɔːmə,trɑːns-,-nz-/
noun
  1. 1.
    an apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.
  2. 2.
    a person or thing that transforms something.
    "the great transformer of mankind"

You actually had the temerity to argue with EFLI that the second definition could not be used with reference to the railways, stating "Railway engineers certainly were not transformers."

He explained that railway engineers were transformers. I actually think that you are quite insulting by not referring to them as transformers.

Try a proper English dictionary and you will see that electromagnet induction is also involved.

Also earlier in this thread it was stated "without changing frequency."

There nothing in the English dictionary about railway engineers.

GMS....

Do you think if the description "transformer" was invented by a marketing guru and the company paying that marketing guru for their work to describe and promote their products online disagreed, they would have done something about it?

You'd think so wouldn't but never the less they didn't.

You just can't go around referring to everything that 'transforms' as transformers.

How about:

This morning I put a pair or transformers on my feet, a transformer over my shoulders, and went outside, got into my transformer to transform myself to work. There were many other transformers on the road so I got to work late and all my transformers had started transforming for the day. One had kindly placed a transformer of hot transforming liquid on my transforming place which I was grateful for as that transformer inside me needed it.

And the reason they didn't was because they were happy with the description!

No, of course you are right. In the definition of transformers, there is no mention of railway engineers.

But I have an incy-wincy hunch that a lot of people (people that know a heck of a lot more about the railways than you or I) agree that the railways, built by railway engineers, transformed the country.

Therefore the railway engineers are transformers.

As for using a proper English dictionary, is the OED acceptable to Sir?

And there are others, Collins, CED etc... in respect of transformer, none of them mention "electromagnet induction".

However, they all mention changing a voltage.

None of them mention isolating transformers either, which do not change voltage.

But can I suggest you continue this discussion in the thread JohnW2 has created for this purpose.

Try a proper English dictionary and you will see that electromagnet induction is also involved.
That quote was from the Oxford Dictionary - how more 'proper' do you want?
Also earlier in this thread it was stated "without changing frequency."
That was said to be in the IEC 'dictionary', as quoted by stillp. However, as I wrote in the other thread last night, when I looked I found a totally different (and rather odd) definition of transformer - so I'm rather confused?

Kind Regards, John

1. an apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.
As an aside, and since we're talking about language/semantics, that definition reminds me of the way in which we all probably misuse (at least literally) the term "alternating current" - it surely is not correct to talk about "the voltage of an alternating current"?!!!

Kind Regards, John

I have emailed aurora and waiting a reply to see if there is a compatible LED bulb.

Some further info:
- none of the bulbs are directly over the bath or shower (there are two separate extractor fan + light units there)
- The 'transformer' in the photo had a brother nearb, these are connected directly to the two spotlights in the ensuite.
Next door, there is a bathroom with three further spotlights, I could not lift the floorboard completely but it looked like *maybe* the bathroom sportlights are also connected to these same two transformers as there were the same thick grey wires running around and I could not see any transformers. The bathroom takes the same GU5.3 bulbs. In other words potentially 2-3 bulbs are connected to each 'transformer' hence higher load than I originally suggested.

This is all much more complex than I expected, so I am kind of resigned now to either keeping the halogen bulbs or getting a sparky in to quote the work. If it means changing everything, the transformers and bulb holders and bulbs etc I assume this is going to cost more than £100 which would not be cost efficient.
It all comes down to your DIY skill, it is very possible you could transform (change) the wiring so that enough lamps are powered from a single unit to load it up to the required amount. Nothing wrong with having 4 x 5W LED lamps from one unit as long as the cables are not too long, most manufacturers state 1 meter, but in real terms you can normally double that without a problem.

Or leave wiring as it is and swap the device what every name you want to give it for some thing like these again what ever name you want to give it looking like this
51SO9lIQisL._SL1024_.jpg

Yes it says 12 volt DC and the lamps which were linked to say AC, but I would be very surprised to find those lamps needed AC at 50 Hz I expect they will work with DC as well as AC.

Or leave wiring as it is and swap the device what every name you want to give it for some thing like these again what ever name you want to give it looking like this ...
As you imply, we seem to be back to semantic issues/confusion again. That device is labelled "LED Driver" Many people seem to think that a thing called that should be a constant-current source, but this one clearly isn't!

Kind Regards, John

That is a 12 volt DC power supply, no more, no less. Essentially the same as many wallworts used for Freeview boxes etc, except that 12volt wallworts can usually supply 2amps.

I use an old wallwort for the LED strips in my wardrobe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back