How to check if spotlights are AC or DC?

As an aside, and since we're talking about language/semantics, that definition reminds me of the way in which we all probably misuse (at least literally) the term "alternating current" - it surely is not correct to talk about "the voltage of an alternating current"?!!!

Kind Regards, John

Well, AC means alternating current but I guess that is an anomaly. Maybe the dictionary omitted the word "supply"?

Sponsored Links
You just can't go around referring to everything that 'transforms' as transformers.
Apply your (lack of) logic to an (electronic) 'driver".

Can this word - driver - not apply to anything else because they don't 'convert' (transform) 240VAC to give out a certain type of voltage and current which lights LED lamps?

There are other definitions of driver as there is the common meaning of 'transform'.

So, what should we call - screw drivers, vehicle drivers, golf drivers etc?

I realise this is a bee in your bonnet (and I have several) but you really are being a bit thick about it.

Your favourite transformer should, at the very least, be called a 'voltage transformer'. That you abbreviate it is leading to all sorts of confusion in your mind.

Then you can accurately say Brunel was not a 'voltage transformer' but he was a 'country transformer' therefore a 'transformer'.

I suspect abbreviation form an original longer name is the reason for the apparent misnomer (although no one seems to know) - much like "I will vacuum the room" - an impossibility (not even really a verb) in the normal home.

You just can't go around referring to everything that 'transforms' as transformers.

How about:

This morning I put a pair or transformers on my feet, a transformer over my shoulders, and went outside, got into my transformer to transform myself to work. There were many other transformers on the road so I got to work late and all my transformers had started transforming for the day. One had kindly placed a transformer of hot transforming liquid on my transforming place which I was grateful for as that transformer inside me needed it.

Can you confidently say all the words you have replaced with "transformer" fit with the definition of that word?

Technology can be a driver too!

Technology is driving a change in the industry, for example.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, AC means alternating current but I guess that is an anomaly. Maybe the dictionary omitted the word "supply"?
Quite. What is supplied is an alternating voltage - current (of any sort) only flows if we connect a load - and I don't think adding the word "supply" would really make things much better! Of course, the same applies to "DC".

Kind Regards, John

I suspect abbreviation form an original longer name is the reason for the apparent misnomer (although no one seems to know) ...
That's quite possible, and not unusual - there are countless abbreviated forms (e.g. "bus") that have been fully assimilated into the English language.
- much like "I will vacuum the room" - an impossibility (not even really a verb) in the normal home.
FWIW, most dictionaries (including OED) accept that it can be a verb, and with the meaning you refer to.

Kind Regards, John

FWIW, most dictionaries (including OED) accept that it can be a verb, and with the meaning you refer to.
Exactly, because it has become common usage.

However, that does not nullify the correct definition and mean I have to call an actual vacuum something else, or mean I am incorrect if I do not.

Exactly, because it has become common usage. However, that does not nullify the correct definition and mean I have to call an actual vacuum something else, or mean I am incorrect if I do not.
That is really the crux of many of your arguments. Once a word or phrase has come into 'common usage' to the extent that it is included in all the major dictionaries (as 'standard English', not 'slang', 'colloquial or anything else like that) I really do think that one has to accept that it has become part of the language and is therefore now 'correct'.

As I've said before, you clearly do accept this evolution of language to some extent, since you do not speak the language of Chaucer or his forefathers.

Kind Regards, John

That is really the crux of many of your arguments. Once a word or phrase has come into 'common usage' to the extent that it is included in all the major dictionaries (as 'standard English', not 'slang', 'colloquial or anything else like that) I really do think that one has to accept that it has become part of the language and is therefore now 'correct'.
It has, obviously, but Winston cannot state it applies to nothing else.

As I've said before, you clearly do accept this evolution of language to some extent, since you do not speak the language of Chaucer or his forefathers.
I have to accept it.
However, in this information age, mistakes are too soonly accepted.

On the contrary my dear fellow, pray I do!

On the contrary my dear fellow, pray I do!
It's certainly not something I know much about, but I suspect that Chaucer's words would have been a bit less like present-day English than that. If I'm wrong, then go back a few more centuries (Beowulf?) - sooner or later you'll find some 'English' which doesn't look very familiar!

Kind Regards, John

- much like "I will vacuum the room" - an impossibility (not even really a verb) in the normal home.
Yes I remember being told the wagon which cleans the streets is an air velocity cleaner, without the moving of the air, it will not take up anything, with them there was at that time with the Johnson the most well know make a gap of 1/2 inch around the bottom of the unit.

However if I go to most retailers of cleaners and ask to have a look at their selection of air velocity cleaners they will look at me with a blank expression.

When I wanted to find an example of the unit required to work the lamps, I put in the words "LED Driver" and then carefully selected one which had a fixed voltage of 12 volt and was DC and had a current large enough to do the job. The "LAP" lamps all seem to state 50 Hz on the lamp, but non seem to say AC or DC in the screwfix catalogue. Only the picture of the lamp actually say it is AC
upload_2016-9-9_17-48-59.png
and even that does not actually say AC it says 50 Hz which must be AC.

Until this thread I knew there were some DC only lamps, these in the main are for caravans, however I did not realise some were designed to be AC at 50 Hz, as to if the 50 Hz is to show not suitable for use with the standard switch mode power supply, i.e. for use with a toroidal core transformer, but why are they not suitable for a DC supply? You can get "electronic transformers" which now can go zero to 60 VA but not at 50 Hz.

Likely the only problem with using "electronic transformers" is where the unit will not work with less than 20 VA. Those which will work from zero will likely still power 95% of the LED G5.3 MR16 12 volt lamps. Only those designed for 10 ~ 36 volt DC for use in caravans would have a problem with the high frequency output.

However and this is the real problem, we don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back