How to choose a new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to replace my aged boiler and have no clue how to choose one that is suitable and matches my requirements. I'm wondering if someone can give me some pointers?!

I think i prefer a combi boiler and have hear valliant and Worcester are the best, I don't mind spending a bit more if it fits the bill.

I have a three bed semi detached house with two bathrooms. One bathroom runs off an electric shower though and is located downstairs.

The current boiler is located in the spare room cupboard upstairs and this is where I would prefer to keep it.

I would really like to get a decent shower pressure upstairs as my current boiler and tank one is pants! So a boiler with a built in pump or a decent pressure is essential.

I think judging by some calculator thing I did I need one that is 10.5kw and above?!

Can someone help?!

Thanks

Katie

Sponsored Links
shower pressure etc is dependent on your incoming cold mains pressure & your choice of combi ,u want a 28 kw minimum combi ,the installer will check your cold mains is ok before he quotes ,also vailant or gloworm forget worcester bosch unless you want the extended warranty , the worcesters do have very good back up service but are full of plastic & not great as a boiler .

I fit a lot of Baxi Neta-tec combis, the "plus" range is sold with a 5 year parts and labour warranty and tends to cheaper than Vaillant or WB. As mentioned, make sure your cold mains flow rate is good, also be prepared for the possibility of gas supply pipework requiring to be increased in size. Many old heat only/system boilers are on a 15mm gas supply. Get 3 quotes for decent quality boilers. If any of the quotation advice seems confusing or conflicting, come back to us and we'll help you out. :mrgreen:

The current setup that you have now (heat only or system boiler and hw cyl) is better at supplying several hot outlets at once than a combi. Even a higher output combi may struggle if hw is drawn for showers, baths and poss in the kitchen at the same time.

You could keep or just replace your existing boiler with one that does the same job - ie. heats hw in the cyl. Then fit a pump to boost the shower from hw cyl that you have now.

Alternatively, you could consider something like a Vaillant Ecotec Plus, which is a combi with it's own store of hot water for times of high demand.

http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/domestic-boilers/ecotec-plus-storage-combination/

Sponsored Links
I would stick to your current system, new boiler maybe and have your shower pumped.

I agree that combi is probably NOT the best solution and one of the most expensive too.

But until the dynamic flow rate has been measured its not possible to know what may be possible.

Tony

A combi may not be the best solution depending on the OPs requirements, but I don't agree it's a more expensive option if a good shower pressure is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back