How to choose a rad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm changing the ancient 900w x 800h rad in my 13ft square high ceilinged lounge and have been looking online for one. The plumber says not to worry about the position of the pipes as he can work around that.

There are many dozens on sale and I am now flummoxed and bewildered! How can I possibly choose between them? They all look the same to me. Are there brands to avoid or brands that are best? Should I be comparing output or whatever? Should I have single panel or double panel? Single convector or double?

Any tips on how to choose, please?

Edited to add ... since posting I have seen one I like the look of: Stelrad Softline Radiator 600 x 900 Double Panel Double Convector. Anything bad to say about these?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need to work out the heat requirement for the room, using a heat loss calculator. Then choose a rad(s) with the BTU/Kw output to suit. Always slightly oversize the rad by 10 to 15% of the heat output required for that room. Also fit a thermostatic radiator valve for added control - unless the room stat is situated in that room.

Single or double panel will depend on the heat output of the rad required for the room and the available wall space. A long single and a shorter double may have similar output, but if short of wall space, the double would be better. If space not a problem, a long single gives a better spread of heat. Anything by Stelrad, Myson or Barlow are good quality. Barlow are good value at Screwfix. I like the Wickes rads, either fitted as a round top, or with the radiator grille conversion kit.

http://stars.pakamo.com/ministars/

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Heating+Plumbing/Radiators/Universal-Radiators/c/1000473

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/H...-Radiators/Radiator-Conversion-Kits/c/1000518

Last edited:
Thanks Regan. I had no idea there was such a thing as a conversion kit! So maybe I don't need a new rad at all, just put a grid on top of the old one. How could I be sure of getting the exact right size when my old one is 25+ yrs old?

How big is the room... just roughly.

Length x width x height...

Give us that and it’ll get you going in the right direction...

And what’s your budget... are we looking for a posh one or just a standard radiator..?

Sponsored Links
Why is your plumber not advising on the correct size?? Was the one you had warm enough for the room? Find out the rough output of that and get one that's the same or slightly over

Hi everyone. I have a new plumber now. He says there is nothing wrong with my radiator - in fact it's a very good one and more than adequate for the room. He said the problems are merely cosmetic - a lick of paint and a conversion kit.

Turns out mine is a Stelrad K2 900 x 600. I phoned a supplier for a price for the sides and grille and they cost £60. (A new identical rad is £73 and comes with sides and grille!)

So I looked at the Wickes ones and they state the are only suitable for wickes's own rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back