how to clean a zafira 04 2L DTI EGR valve

Thanks very much for the reply

do the symptoms wont go above 1000 revs and no engine light or codes, match with an EGR fault ?

Can do. Normally you get excessive smoke from exhaust along with restricted revs. I know youve given it a clean but you can try these EGR Cleaners such as Wynns EGR Cleaner. Alternatively disconnect the valve and if it fault reoccurs then you can rule out EGR.

Shame you cant get any codes out. Can your code reader get live readings? If it happens again see what the throttle pedal position is in relation to what your doing with it. Its an electronic pedal and may have a a bit of wear at a certain point causing a false reading and engine protects it's self by not allowing any throttle response as it thinks pedal is wrong.

Sponsored Links
i did a jag a while ago, the egr was gummed up and stuck partially open.
I couldnt drive it as it would not rev at all and refused to rev past a certain point, no management light on either
Excellent - thats really good to know -

any suggestions on removing the EGR valve on the zafira
it just would not move ....but i was a bit carefull - but did try wood and mallet and also twisting

I may have another go at getting the EGR valve out and giving a good cleaning - rather than carb cleaner and rag from the top section, unless you think that should be OK

Shame you cant get any codes out. Can your code reader get live readings?
or an opcom live read mate
YES - does live reads

but you can try these EGR Cleaners such as Wynns EGR Cleaner
i used carb cleaner

It was suggested putting some Millers Oils - Diesel Power Eco Max 500ml
into the tank

Alternatively disconnect the valve and if it fault reoccurs then you can rule out EGR.
i was going to do that but the engine light comes on goes into limp mode and revs are limited to 3000ish
if it happens again - would just pulling it off prove the point ?
then restart and see if it works again

Its an electronic pedal and may have a a bit of wear at a certain point causing a false reading and engine protects it's self by not allowing any throttle response as it thinks pedal is wrong.
apparently the throttle is much more responsive now, i did move the vacuum attachment to the manifold section and gave that a good wiggle - for the paddle

appreciate all the responses and help - its really good of you to spend the time here and hopefully you have already saved me £360 + labour (£54/hr for my local independent garage)

Sponsored Links
if its an electrical valve (sounds as if it is) then disconnecting it wont help,
the management light will come on as its position is monitored by the ecu.
Cant help with its removal as ive never done one, again if you search google or you tube you will find a step by step guide on this.
If there is a map sensor in the manifold too its worth locating and cleaning this as well, some choose to completly remove the inlet manifold and clean it out this way. Fitting a blanking plate will then ensure it does not happen again, but as ive said on some cars this is not possible as it also brings on the management light.

well its been almost a week now , and the car has been used extensively 500miles with quite a few long trips and stop start trips

just one occurrence , where , she thought she was increasing the revs and not getting the resulting power from the engine - but just once and not sure if imagined it ,

thanks for all the help

Yes, Thanks certainly will keep an eye now
mind you the car has done 130K and cannot afford to replace, so I'm sure we will have other issues in the future - but at least I know where to come for assistance - this forum has been great

thanks

spoke to soon , happened again

this time - I found the valve just next (right from front of car) was stuck-in - that turns the flap in the manifold
I took the pipe out of the thing that actuates the Flap in the manifold - no change
Then I pulled the lever out and the car just jumped back into life - it was stuck

Noticed as the car is switched off the valve moves in and then out again and played a couple of times and it stuck IN and then when started it staid IN and had the issue again
Pushed it in and out a few times and it was sticking
so WD40 on the mech and its nice and free now and moves really easily

I'm so pleased I was able to reproduce the fault repeatedly, engineer in me, and now really confident its fixed or at least I know exactly what and where the issue is -

Thanks for all the help and advice - it really pointed me in the right direction

No idea what this bit is called - in case I need to replace

I guess its the Manifold and the vacuum actuator would do the job

Sponsored Links
Back