How to clean soot off Coals Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved, coals weren't positioned right and have soot marks in parts which doesn't look very good.

Anyone know any nifty tricks to clean them?

They are coloured coals, grey and beige.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I always used a soft brush and compressed air (air in a can). Stubborn stains will burn off when the coals have been fitted correctly.
PS don't do that over a light carpet.

be carefull where you clean them as the soot is pure carbon and if you get on carpets etc you will never get it out, also make sure that the coals are re fitted the way the manual says or they will just soot up again

John506";p="2636260 said:
Just moved, coals weren't positioned right and have soot marks in parts which doesn't look very good.

Anyone know any nifty tricks to clean them?

They are coloured coals, grey and beige.

My standard advice: If you don't know the history of the gas appliances when you move in, get them serviced and safety tested - it could save a life

Sponsored Links
Thanks I will try the brush method I thought they would be stained for good :(

Fire seems ok only problem is the thermocouple needs changing. I temporarily wire wooled it until I have time to get a new ODS.

(I am gas qualified) :)

Thanks I will try the brush method I thought they would be stained for good :(

Fire seems ok only problem is the thermocouple needs changing. I temporarily wire wooled it until I have time to get a new ODS.
(I am gas qualified) :)

Wha does that mean? :confused:

The thermocouple, which forms part of the Oxygen Depletion Sensor, had formed a bit of crud on it, which was causing insulation and was taking it a few attempts to light it.

As the pilot light only stays on for a few seconds, it took a few goes to heat up the thermocouple due to the crud.....

So cleaning off the crud has enabled the flame to correctly act on the thermocouple to give the voltage back to the solenoid.

I also think as there is a build up of crud, it needs renewing, hence the temporarily bit.

That is what I meant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back