How to Clean wall before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think i stumbled across a problem. I spent the past 2 days preparing a room for painting, by repairing any small cracks and recesses into the existing painted wall (i used a ready mixed filler). When it came to wiping off the dust with a lightly wet cloth today, i realised that parts of the dried filler are also being wiped out. So I am stuck now and in need of any advice you have on how to clean the dust of the walls without messing my last 2 days' work.

On another note, i get mixed views on whether to use a primer, for the recently repaired areas, or not. If so, any products you would recommend? I plan to paint with a silk emulsion, if that helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ready mixed fillers are crap should use a branded powder filler you mix yourself
As for priming just use some of the silk emulsion you are going to put on the walls over the filled patches, but make sure you thin this slightly with water.

Thanks for the advice. Too late i guess for a change of filler. Will try to use a dry cloth to clean the dust off the repaired areas, as a desperate solution.

Thin slightly...you reckon something like 80/20 (paint/water)?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. Too late i guess for a change of filler. Will try to use a dry cloth to clean the dust off the repaired areas, as a desperate solution.

Thin slightly...you reckon something like 80/20 (paint/water)?

Yes thin first coat 10-20%, mix enough for first coat and touch over where filled with thined paint also, then apply second coat neat(not thinned).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back