Paint keeps peeling off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my wall, every time I paint it within a week or so its started to peel/crumble off the wall.

There are areas where I have had to fill holes and the paint stays on perfectly. I have sanded the plaster on the walls for a smooth finish and wiped away any excess dust with a damp cloth.
Then I painted on an undercoat paint (first coat) the next day it has already started to crumble off the wall.

Any help would be excellent!

Sponsored Links
Is this bare plaster ? if so you will need a mist coat first which is a suitable emulsion watered down by up to 50% . Get as much dust off as you can, hoover it with a brush attachment if you can.

Did it have wallpaper on? Did you clean all the paste off?

Bilioustrumpstaine
I tried a a primer...is this the same as a mist coat?
and Yes, bare plaster. (I think this is the main problem!)

joe-90
Hasn´t had wall paper...only paint before!

Sponsored Links
Firstly I live in Mallorca....I will try my best to give you the full picture. Ground floor apartment with solid concrete wall no damp proofing!

So we do have damp mid way up most walls and we see mould patches on the ceiling. The problem is scattered throughout the building...its only just started showing up after living here 7 years..when we moved in it had been professionally painted!
We used a dehumidifier in this room (which is the ground floor bedroom)

The pros have used a mesh lining in places in the living room...is it worth doing this in the bedroom. We dont have any problems with paint falling off where this has been used.

I think its some sort of mesh/paper?? Any tips

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back