How to control algae in a fountain & pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently installed a small fountain and pebble pond in the garden and the water is already beginning to turn green with algae.

Can anyone please suggest the best and most economical way of keeping this at bay. There are no fish or plants etc in the pond but obviously we do not want to harm any birds that drop by for a drink.

A local garden shop has some extremely expensive chemicals for tackling this problem, but someone told me that a small amount of bleach or hydrogen peroxide would do the trick without any harm to wildlife. Also someone suggested putting some copper pipe in the pond would help.

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
dont put bleach in as that will posion any wildlife. The problem is that it is mainly still water apart from when you put it on, so the algae has a good chance to grow. either go for the chemicals or you could try a barley cone in teh sump.

Ive heard of folk fitting an infra red light somewhere on the water pipe feeding their fountains. Its supposed to kill the algae

Infra red is no good its Ultra Violet that stops green water but I would by the chemical, cheaper than a UV.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I would by the chemical, cheaper than a UV.

is it ?
only if you got a puddle.
my uv's have paid for themselfs 10 times over compaired to what chemicals would cost me.
chemical may slow the growth of your algae but can upset the
rest of your pond.

Thanks. Sounds as if a UV filter would be the best way to go (pond is probably about 125 litres). However, do they have to be fitted above the pond or are there submergeable versions as that would be the only way to keep it out of sight in our case?

is it ?
only if you got a puddle.

As this is a water feature and NOT a pond eg just a tray and sump the chemical will be the best option.

UVs are fine for larger ponds and cost effective.

If you use a UV on a water feature you then have to add a way to remove the algae from the water as they make the small cells flocolate(stick to geach other) and sink so that means a filter. You then have the problem of the biological action of the filter which removes amonia and converts it to nitrite and then to nitrate. Natrate is what most plant fertilizers cointain and this will be the ideal feed for filimantatious algae - blanket weed.

So if you want clear water with blanket weed fit a UV and filter. If you want to keep the water feature crystal clear use the chemical. There are several made specifically for water features and not the pond ones which can work out expensive on big volumes of water.

Jason

Jasonb, many thanks for clarifying and explaining the issues. I'll go for a chemical designed for ornamental water features (ie contains no wildlife).

Don't suppose you, or anyone else, can recommend any good ones?

Not actually used them myself as my ponds are somewhat bigger but hozelock and Interpet both do one thats not too expensive.

Jason

Like Jason said, a UV on a water feature is pointless. You will need a filter to filter out the settled algae after it has been destroyed. The main way of control would be to have a well balanced pond, but seeing as this is just a water feature your best option would be chemical control.

The green water is caused by the algae feeding on nutrients from fish waste, plants, decomposed plants and the addition of new water. Seeing as you have no fish or plantlife in the water feature, the algae bloom may be a sudden spurt from the new water you have put in. Dont take out any water changes as this wont cure it.

I would start by using a Barley Straw extract first, its not expensive and you can see how this goes for a while. If you want birds to come and drink from it, dont put any bleach products in the water.

A piece of copper pipe wont do anything, you can buy active copper treatment and 1 litre will be enough for a 10'000 gallon pond, so it will go a long way in your water feature.

Buy liquid algicide from pool suppliers or water bed suppliers costs about $10.00 cdn funds per gallon. start with one capfull or it will foam add more if required. won,t hurt birds in small amounts
I have used it both in my 150 litre water fall /pond & my water bed for 10 years.
carl

Just been to a water garden centre to buy an appropriate chemical and ended up talking to the owner. Since I have no plants, fish etc in the pool, he advised me to use the same method he uses to keep his display ponds, fountains etc crystal clear.

From time to time, as necessary, he adds a very small quantity of chlorine granules to the water (first dissolved in warm water). Since these are designed for swimming pools they are not harmful to humans or animals (unlike domestic bleach etc) and are considerably cheaper than the small packets of chemicals sold as algae cleaners. Although normally sold in bulk, they can be bought in smaller quantities.

Seems a good idea. Any comments?

Just been to a water garden centre to buy an appropriate chemical and ended up talking to the owner. Since I have no plants, fish etc in the pool, he advised me to use the same method he uses to keep his display ponds, fountains etc crystal clear.

From time to time, as necessary, he adds a very small quantity of chlorine granules to the water (first dissolved in warm water). Since these are designed for swimming pools they are not harmful to humans or animals (unlike domestic bleach etc) and are considerably cheaper than the small packets of chemicals sold as algae cleaners. Although normally sold in bulk, they can be bought in smaller quantities.

Seems a good idea. Any comments?

Chlorine would be fine yes, very little amounts though.

Chlorine is harmful to all life. Unless you test the residual (the amount left after it's done it's stuff) you won't know the level in the water. A simple tester is required.
Chlorine is a disinfectant, what you need is an algaecide. You might also need to test for residual chemical.
Barley straw has beneficial bacterial enzymes which will help to control the algae in a safe way.
Your fountain will aerate the water, the extra oxygen will contribute to the growth of algae.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back