Old fountain now an eyesore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

There was a fountain in the garden when we moved in which we took apart as the water was continually getting stagnant and we didn't really know anything about maintenance or how to keep it clean. I thought we could just plant something nice in the concrete container and that would be it. I've now discovered that nothing will survive in there as there's no drainage and it's now totally flooded - I just about managed to salvage the little palm tree I'd planted. Can anyone suggest what I can do next? It's an eyesore as it is - is my best bet to try and get someone in to drill some holes in the base of the concrete so I can plant something? Or try and put in a new fountain? Maybe there was a problem with the old fountain pump which was why the water was full of algae and green. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
you can put water plants in it, such as reeds and waterlillies

but please put a wood or sacking bridge over the side, so that animals and birds that fall in can climb out.

Fountain pumps are cheap and generally easy to replace if required, might it be turned off somewhere and is there a small inspection cover anywhere?

Honestly I have no idea and wouldn't know where to start anyway. I think the best best is to drill some holes - it seems the most straightforward option. Thanks both for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn`t recommend you go drilling holes blindly as you could drill through a power cable. If you are sure it was a fountain then there will be a pump somewhere. You will need to empty it of water regardless to see what is there before doing anything.

Empty the water to see what you are dealing with. Drill holes around the sides of the base to the inside and then plant up using some crocks to prevent the holes blocking up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back