How To Control Storage Heaters Without A Radio Teleswitch?

Hi,
When browsing on the net I came a cross this forum which I find a bit radio rental. I work with Scottish & Southern Energy and I work with a lot of E10's in the Central Belt Area and I know the game inside.

Unfortunatly very few people know what to do with an E10 in SSE. If you came across me you wouldnt of got an E10 for storage heaters and if you where coming over to SSE for an E10 for an instantaneuos system like an electrical wet water system I would have had you registered in five days time and your meter fitted within two weeks. (Saving all the hassle of getting SPOW to remove your meter and update MPAS etc because I would have done all the particulars for you).

I dont know why you have came to Hydro for E10 as SPOW have 12,16 & 20 off peak Tariffs which is more sutable to your system and would work out more economical for you.

By the sounds of things you would have been previously on Comfortplus Whitemeter or control which gives you up to 14hr of off peak electricity depending on the weather (working on the weather call system) and everything that uses a heating element runs on the off peak.

From what I have read on this forum I dont know where you are at the moment but my suggestion is that you would probably be better on with SPOW on an internet tariff or a capped price contract on for example there off peak D Tariff which will give you 16 off peak Monday to Friday and 24hrs Sat and Sunday and the unit prices are including VAT with the capped prices are standing charge 16.68p, dy rate 9.372p & off peak rate 4.605p. The times are 1830-0530, 0830-1330

When you compare them to Hydro E10 and SPOWs off peak D you will be spids in with SPOW and you get more storage time for your raditors.

I hope this is of help but I coulnt not comment on this when I seen it, if I can be of any help give us a shout.

RAZ - I have night storage heaters and am just changing to Southern Electric E10.
Price = 18.14p daily. 10.81p/kWh high and 4.935p low rate.
Times are 00 to 0530, 1300 - 1600 and 2000 to 2200. (yorkshire elec)
Do you think I can get a better deal with SPOW (whoever they are?) ..thanks for your help.

Hi Steco,
Sorry SPOW are Scottish Power, the only reason I was mentioning SPOW was dfh101 is in SPOWs distribution area and thats why I quoted that. If you in Yorkshire Electric's distribution area or Npower then its a different script because YE has different metering to SPOW and they would fit a meter in their area that they cannot support (unlike in SPOWs area on the exception SPOW will fit E10s for SSE but that wont be found anywhere else).

Npower are a pain to obtain their technical meter details or I could have told you what they do. The only thing I can suggest is speak to them tell them you have night storage and ask what special off peak tariffs they have and tell them you dont want E7 but something which will need two supply numbers. Then you can weigh up there hours and price to what they will give you to what you will get with E10.

Every area is different for metering like SPOW can do a Tariff called Economy 2000 which is 18 hrs off peak but it will only get fitted with a wet system an engineer will not install with anything else and I mean that. Like in Southens own area they have Superdeal which will give you 5hr during the night and two during the day and if you are elderly or in the house alot then they can fit weather sensitive meter to give more hours depending on the weather.

Hope this is of help, give us a shout if I can be of help

Sponsored Links
RAZ

Thanks very much for your helpful reply:) - I will look into your advice!

cheers
steve

R_A_Z,

Noticed some of your posts re tariff's for electric wet heating systems and was wondering if you would be able to help - I'm from the Perthshire area and am having a nightmare trying to pin down the best tariff for my new electric combi boiler (thermaflow). Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back