How to control towel rads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, can’t figure out how to post photos?

I have a silver valve box alongside the tank & boiler which that says towel rads on - the cable from this leads to a plain white Honeywell electrical box.

The only way for the towel rads to come on is for me to manually pull the little silver piece back & leave it there.

Is it possible to add some sort of timer so that I can have some control over the towel rads?

If so, what sort of thing would I need?

I presume this is a job for an electrician?

I have taken photos but can’t get them to uploads.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the valve look like this

upload_2021-11-11_21-21-11.png

Or this

upload_2021-11-11_21-21-39.png

I think there is a timer setting in the programmer you have on the wall

Sponsored Links
That timer only controls hot water & pump for kitchen tap

is it possible to put another timer on for the towel rads? If so, what sort of time clock would he need? Thanks

It should be automated already, likely with the heating.

It might just need a new motor unit on the top.

It needs someone to work out exactly how it's wired and what operates what.

It most certainly hasn't been wired for you to manually control, the valves are designed for that

Thanks for the reply. It has never been automated as it has no time clock & was never wired up when it was all done for some reason.

what sort of thing would be needed? Thanks

If you remove the valve completely the towel rads will come on with your heating

Ok, would I need an electrician or a plumber to sort this out?

I was hoping to be able to still have the towel rads on even when the central heating isn’t on. Is that possible? Thanks

Just latch the valve in the manual position and when your heating or HW is on the towel rads will also heat up, slide the lever over, then you will see a little latch, move the lever up and hold for a few seconds till the spring returns it slightly, and as it has never been wired up it will stay like that unless you manually release it

Thanks Ian, tried that and it did work this morning.

Any recommendations for a time clock that I can have put on. Are there any compatible with wifi/app based? Or is that just gimmicky for towel rads?!

electrician said no problem to wire up, but my job to choose which timer…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back