Towel Rad Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I had a new pressurised system fitted as part of an extension & renovation that is still ongoing.

200L cylinder
Vaillant ecotec boiler (think 37kw)
Wet UFH ground floor with room stats
Wet UFH in the 2 bathrooms with room stats

Just ordering stuff for the bathroom & I’m confused about towel rads.

The plumber who did the 1st fix said the towel rads would be on separate from the UFH, and would be on in the Summer. Not with an electric element though.

How exactly does this work? How would I control this? Do I need to order a specific towel rad? What about TRVs?

Apologies I don’t know anything about plumbing, and the plumbers phone has gone to voicemail ‘I’m in Australia for 3 weeks’. Obviously I will confirm with him upon his return but im really curious about this & don’t want to order the wrong towel rads/valves.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not wait until plumber is back, and consult with him. He can't be in a rush to fit them if he's in Australia

He's probably running a separate flow and return back to the boiler/cylinder so that they come on with the boiler regardless of what is calling for heat.

Normally we'd suggest a regular valves if you only have one towel rail (so it works as a practical bypass. Then put TRV's on any others.

Sponsored Links
Of course I will wait for him to come back, but it was racking my brains as to how it works.

Since discovered that the towel rads are on the same loop as the upstairs rads. There are 2 ports at the cylinder - 1 for rads & 1 for UFH.

So confused again as to how they can be controllled in spring/summer.

I guess I could put a time clock on for them all to come on, then turn the rad trvs down? Not quite the control I had hoped for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back