How to cover/remove stenciled paint off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi after some advice is there an easy way to remove stenciled paint off our bedroom wall left by the previous people?

We thought we could just whack on a load of magnolia paint to cover the dark blue as a base coat but you can still see the lines from where they've stenciled buildings and superheroes onto the wall, especially in the light.

Is the only way sanding the entire wall? Or can we not just buy some thick white paint which will cover over the lines?

Friend has mentioned zinsser primer paint or even light surface filler ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190418_180712.jpg
    IMG_20190418_180712.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Very hard to see in the picture the problem, but a very good rub down would be the way to go, Zinserr paint isn't going to help cover the lines, they are ridges and will need sanding down to a flat surface.
Most paints are the same thickness so thats out, if you cant sand out the lines, paper the walls with heavy grade lining paper.

High opacity paint should work. But not if you have actual lumps of stencilled paint
I have sanded walls before and it's really messy and dust gets everywhere

Back in the day a mate who was into music painted a sax and keyboard "Muriel" over one wall of his living room. The estate agent told him to paint it out before sale and every night in the pub we were kept up to date with tales of painting the wall and the next day a phantom saxophone reappearing

I think the room was an inch smaller by the time he stopped painting

Sponsored Links
High opacity paint should work. But not if you have actual lumps of stencilled paint
I have sanded walls before and it's really messy and dust gets everywhere

Back in the day a mate who was into music painted a sax and keyboard "Muriel" over one wall of his living room. The estate agent told him to paint it out before sale and every night in the pub we were kept up to date with tales of painting the wall and the next day a phantom saxophone reappearing

I think the room was an inch smaller by the time he stopped painting
Yes it has been a nightmare.

Managed to get most of it off using a hairdryer but I've been left with a faint line which I've sanded down hoping a few coats will cover it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back