How to cover this mess when laying wooden flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom floorboards are a bit of a mess and some are uneven. Also, the toilet sits on a wedge of mdf to keep it level. This was all done by the previous owner. I want to lay wooden laminate flooring and was wondering if standard 3mm hard board would cover this all underneath ? There was some 3mm hardboard under the carpet which has now been pulled up hence the bare floorboards. It's an old Victorian semi so this room gets very cold in winter (despite the radiator) because of all the gaps in the flooring. I just want the floor to have some kind of insulation between the hard board (whatever thickness) and laminate flooring (if we find one tasteful enough we actually like) I intend to replace the sink but not the toilet.
[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/user/marb67/media/Batroom%20floor.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You want to lift the WC, and any other fixture (except the rad) from the floor. Unscrew & lift the rad escutcheons. Note that the WC spigot in relation to the soil pipe will have to be into account.

When you lay the laminate have a clean surface, it will look better and save time (and difficulties with cutting around). Set your fixtures on top of the laminate

But first determine why the floor doesn't appear to be level?

Then replace any cut or badly damaged boards with single lengths of board - look under and mark for cables and pipes. Then screw down the boards.

Now check the floor for any creaking etc.

Why the hardboard when you will have an underlay?

Do you intend to go under or up to the skirting?

FWIW: panelling on solid exterior walls is vulnerable to wood decay - its a possibility.

Thanks. I wanted to avoid moving the WC really as I had a heck of a time getting a new soil pipe on but if I have to I will find a way. The wood panelling is fine. Been there 17 years of our time here and was installed before that.I am not sure weather to go up to the skirting or under it really. Whatever is best. Same with the bath panel but getting the MDF pannel off will be a problem if the floor is above the base. There are open floorboards and pipes under the bath so that will need addressing. When the wind is up outside is when the bathroom gets cold in winter because of these holes. hardboard would make an even base for the underlay (as well as add more draught proofing).

Sponsored Links
Why you should have had difficulties with the soil pipe to spigot is a mystery? How come? A WC spigot can be raised but it cannot be lowered.

The more layers you add to the floor the higher the FFL will be, of course.

Plus the skirting decision has to be made now. The skirting screw fixings can be seen for easy removing. You dont need to raise the skirting, merely remove and rip whatever cut is needed.

Its an absolute necessity that you dont trap the bath panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back