How to cover ugly artex with confirmed asbestos?

joj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We are renovating a 2 bed flat in a 1970's block for resale, which has had Chrysolite confirmed as being present in all of the ceilings (lab results said so). The artex is the mottled type paint, rather than the swirly stuff.

We want to cover over it to hide it and ideally add downlights but are unsure what the best plan of action is.

Would it be best to plaster or overboard? Or is it just to leave it alone?
- If plaster is there anything special we need to do?
- If overboarding, do we need to drill into the ceiling? How do we do so to prevent dust?

Re, the downlights, what's best to do? Again, is it best to admit defeat, just paint the ceilings and add nice lampshades?

Re. our skillset: My husband has done all of the reno to date, stripping majority of property back to brick, but if this is too difficult we will probably hire tradesmen.

Many thanks for your help!

Jo

Sponsored Links
If it is sound you can plater over using thistle Bondit as a primer/sealer then bond and set. This will mean no drilling .

However you will still need to cut out for the downlighters.
I'm afraid you would need to take advice on this from someone who is better qualified, thought my first instinct is to say with proper filtration you could minimise dust.

In my day I have taken down/cut through any amount of old artex before being aware of the risk, as I am sure others have. Time will tell if any damage done

• Thanks
Reactions: joj
If it is sound I would feel inclined to give it a couple of coats of paint and leave well alone.

I always worry about people being advised to plaster over asbestos containing surfaces because a later homeowner or workman will have no idea they are drilling into the substance.

• Thanks
Reactions: joj
Thanks for your advice guys, very helpful.

So would you not recommend plasterboarding over as an alternative?

Footprints - I agree that this would be a concern. I'm looking for a solution that satisfies both us and future buyers.

Sponsored Links
So would you not recommend plasterboarding over as an alternative?

That would yield the same result as plastering over it - anyone at a later date would have no idea that asbestos was being concealed with it, whether plasterboard or plaster. I've got exactly the same problem. My house was built in the 1920s and although my artexed ceilings have never been certified (meaning I haven't looked into it), I still wouldn't be surprised if it contains asbestos. But, apparantly the artex look is going to be in fashion again soon? So you may want to keep it there for a bit longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back