How to create a doorstep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an external timber ramp that leads to a landing and an uncovered front door. My problem is that there is no doorstep so the landing is the same level as the internal floor. To prevent the weather etc from coming in how can I install a doorstep. An added benefit of this is that I can put a door mat on the internal side of the front door so anyone entering the house can wipe their feet before proceding inside. Please note I have no building skills so would appreciated any advice in really simple terms ..... Thanks very much, Julie

Sponsored Links
Hi Noseall, thanks for your response unfortunately that is not an option as the ramps are already built in .... but I have been thinking do you think it is possible to put in a step/slab (maybe a paver of sorts) and raise the level (that is shorten) the door to sit above the step???? the "step" would have to sit part inside and part outside. Sorry about the terminology as I am not a builder so can only describe it as I see it. Thanks again ... Julie

is the ramp intended for wheeled access? A doorstep will impede it.

If you mean rain penetration, a waterbar on the bottom of the door will help shed it. If the door is made of wood, it should be drlled and screwed from the inside so there are no holes in the outside surface.

If you mean draughts, a draught excluder. The furry pile ones last better than plastic and will accomodate unevenness.

Sponsored Links
A wee sketch would be helpful, if you can...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back