How would I go about raising a front doorstep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a terraced house

I am looking to loose some height on my front door opening

How can I add height to the front door step itself (after door frame and threshold removed)

Can I simply add some more heights using bricks and cement

Or so I need to add dpm in there some where ?

Sponsored Links
How much height do you need?

Post a pic of what you currently have. (y)

20220910_133709.jpg
20220910_133659.jpg

Here's some photos I've not removed the frame yet as I need to raise the step to allow the new door to fit can I do this

Sponsored Links
If I'm reading it right you've bought a door that's too small in height and as such need to raise where the door frame sits so it fills the opening?

What type of door is it, you can get add ons for upvc doors to increase there size albeit there usually used to increase the width.

I need to lose 200mm I've looked at the extentions also

Yes your theory is right

I am looking to raise the step the reduce using extenders is it possible

Once you've got the cill out, you can see what's what.

You might be able to build a course of brickwork, or concrete cill or cut down concrete lintel.
Obviously you'll be increasing the door height threshold, meaning you'll need to step over it when new frame is fitted.

Loose 200mm thought you wanted to gain it?

Or are you talking -200mm off the door height?

A confusing post OP but FWIW dont do what you seem to be proposing in terms of lopping 8" off a front door, and/or building up an almost trip barrier at the threshold.
You trim or shave front doors not slice chunks off them.
If you must move it then dont touch the sill until you are certain of what you are doing.

If they are at hand, can you post pics of the new door, and new frame, and a pic of the existing full doorway opening from sill to just over head/lintel height?

Not a criticism but seeing as you've got troubles with head height are you certain the new door width is correct?

Sorry guys I really wrote this half asleep and in a rush.

2 house on the go with long commutes and plenty of self labour

Bit more detail

I have a terrace home

Door opening wall to all 2360 x 920

I grabbed a bargain composite door brand new at 900 x 2085 the plan is to add a joining strip and a custom window topper joined on this I have no trouble with I have a upvc guy at my disposal and the door will be complete with a topper when needed

I need to raise the sill as the entire house is having underfloor heating meaning the floor height will exceed the sill

I basically wanted to add a slab or concrete slab of some sort to raise the original sub sill base underneath

But before I proceed I need to know how
.I am very technical minded and have qualified and experienced in plumbing (no gas) 18th edition electrical also

I just looking for a correct way to proceed

I do not want to raise it to an extreme

Looking for pointers before removal

But will update in the entire process and keep asking for help if needed

Atm I have added the best photos I have and a cropped imaged of the door

House is rendered but brick underneath the render

Can I add in some type half height brick or corrected lintel before adding the new sill

If so do I need to add any thing or just concrete in

Sorry for the bad photos I will add more when back at the property this week

Attachments

• IMG-20220913-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220913-WA0000.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220910_133709.jpg
    20220910_133709.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220910_133701.jpg
    20220910_133701.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220910_133708.jpg
    20220910_133708.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220910_133659.jpg
    20220910_133659.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
If it was me, I'd wait until you've done the flooring, you'll know where you are at, then install the door, and adjust the fanlight above the door to suit.

As previously mentioned the door cill can be brought up with bricks (halves)/lintel/undercill

TBH you should try to not increase the height of the doorframe bottom if you can help it, less is best.
At some point someone may need to use a mobility scooter/wheelchair and the higher your doorframe bottom the harder it is to get over it.

What in 2022??? Are you from the future?
As u can see from the time of the post its was very late again lol no its a mistype wich I think is obvious 18th edition pal honestly thanks for pointing it out made myself giggle living the future life

Honestly

Last edited:
TBH you should try to not increase the height of the doorframe bottom if you can help it, less is best.
At some point someone may need to use a mobility scooter/wheelchair and the higher your doorframe bottom the harder it is to get over it.
This is a home that is going to be used as a family home for ery very many years to come (it's our first family home)

I do not plan on being in a wheelchair just yet

And funny fact (the house we have is already adapted to a wheel chair hence the level door sill

We also have a wheelchair loft wich is being removed

I will only be adding 50-60mm in height so a pretty much standard step height

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back