Building a front doorstep.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about building a step outside our front door, as the threshold is at an uncomfortable height at the moment. As it needs to be 1.5M X 0.5m but only about 100 - 120mm high, I am considering laying a bit of poly sheet on the existing paving slabs, which are well bedded on concrete, laying a single course of bricks on the poly, infilling with a bit of concrete, brick ends etc, and finishing off the top with quarry tiles. Theory is that will make it easier to tear up when 'Er Indoors' decides she doesn't like it, or funds run to a new door with a lower threshold.

What is the best thing to do about the damp course, which will be level with, or only about 10mm above the top of the new step?

Sponsored Links
go buy yourself 2no. 450x450 decorative paving slabs and about 30 solid staffy blue engineering bricks.

bed the two slabs up about 110mm up from the floor and frame them with the blue bricks laid on edge.

it will look fab.

you are best laying a slab footing to cope with the entire area.

dpc compromise is minimal and acceptable, just make sure the step falls away from the house slightly.

Thanks Noseall, That's just about the way I was reckoning on. I was just going to work off the existing paving slabs, as they are well bedded on about 2-3 inches of concrete with hardcore under already, and don't seem to want to move anywhere of their own accord. I was just a bit concerned about the DPC.

I suppose if I go with the poly sheet underneath the thing at least I can rip it up again relatively easily if I do get any probs.

What a pity to hide those lovely pink concrete slabs though :p

TicklyT said:
Thanks Noseall, That's just about the way I was reckoning on. I was just going to work off the existing paving slabs, as they are well bedded on about 2-3 inches of concrete with hardcore under already, and don't seem to want to move anywhere of their own accord. I was just a bit concerned about the DPC.

I suppose if I go with the poly sheet underneath the thing at least I can rip it up again relatively easily if I do get any probs.

What a pity to hide those lovely pink concrete slabs though :p

I really wouldn't bother with the poly - the whole thing won't weigh that much and I'd be inclined to have it "attached" to your patio.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back