How to create a frame for a semi-circular window???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to create a frame to hold glass in a semi-circular space above my front door. I was looking for some kind of flexible quadrant/beading to hold the glass. The glass will rest on the top of the frame of the door so it's just the semi-circular part that needs to be held in some way.

I did ask a glazier but he just took a sharp intake of breath and told me to find a carpenter. Surely there's a 'simple' way to hold the glass in place???

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

cheers

Darren

Sponsored Links
I guess the frame. Since I posted this I've been looking at the houses in streets around ours who have the porch closed in and they seem to have a 1" wooden frame but I don't know how I'm going to do that! I want to avoid (London) chippie rates and stupidly assumed that I'd be able to get some kind of flexible 'frame' but can't find such a thing. Perhaps it's a gap in the market!

Anyway, still looking for suggestions...

cheers

Darren

search on "fanlight"

I thought they were made up in sections. Needs a good joiner.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
search on "fanlight"

I thought they were made up in sections. Needs a good joiner.

yep john has got it spot on usualy your frame will be 43mm by around 70

so you take wood from a wood yard that will be 21mm x95[4x1 par/planed]
imagine an octigone with another octigone on top rotated 1/2 a segment
you glue the 2 halfs together overlapping the segments you then round off the top and bottom using a band saw /jigsaw/ router and template

Thanks for the helpful advice! I shall get myself down to the timberyard pronto before the rain starts!

Darren

the actual size of the timber will depend on the radius
draw your profile on a bit of white painted board [a rod]
draw the top and bottom radius divide the arc into equal segments using the centre pivot for the angle draw a line between the bottom most edge of 2 segment lines on the point the lines intersect the arc
measure midway to the top of the arch allow at least 5mm extra for sanding /mistakes and thats the minimum size of your timber

Brilliant! There's my Saturday sorted out. Again, thanks for the help and hopefully this will be useful to somebody else in the future. What a nice bunch of people you are.

Darren

daza said:
Brilliant! There's my Saturday sorted out. Again, thanks for the help and hopefully this will be useful to somebody else in the future. What a nice bunch of people you are.

Darren

thats why most of us give the advice to be helpfull and because the odd "thank you" is a great reward :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back